Layoffs - Everyone is panicking

I have never been through a layoff or downsizing before and now that I have experienced it first hand- I am thankful that it was my first time. However, now that the employees are gone- Rumors have started that there are more to come- although I am told this was the final count. I want to put out an email to the remaining staff that they should not worry and although we are sad about losing the employees we did- it is now over. I am afraid that people are going to start jumping ship- any suggestions on what I should or should not say.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • One piece of advice...IF, and I said if you do put a communication out, don't promise that it won't happen again. Heaven forbid if you do have to do another round of layoffs...you won't hear the end of it.

You're never going to be able to stop the rumors from going around, it's human nature. They will still have their rumors even if you do put out a communication. Heck, it may fuel the fire for all you know. I truly empathize with you. The first one is the hardest, especially the aftermath, but you should only worry if the day comes when it doesn't shake you to some degree.

The only thing you can say, is at this point in time, everyone whose position is being eliminated, has been notified. Me personally, I wouldn't open up a can of worms.
  • The postings covered this issue very well. Bottom line - "Don't make proimises regarding future layoffs in writing." Perhaps the most cogent post was HS's comment that the aspect of layoffs that you most have to worry about is if you ever reach the point that layoffs don't bother you. Layoffs, especially of good people, should be the low point of the HR arena - a necessary evil in order for a company to survive and provide jobs for the remaining employees.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-30-03 AT 02:23PM (CST)[/font][p]During any change, employees will jump ship. Remember communication is key in situation like this. Rumors will fly but as long as you keep ees up to date, this will help cool the ambers. Let the ees know why the reduction occured and how the reduction will solve the problem. I have lived through two reductions in staff. It's never easy. This might be a good time to stress an open door policy or start one if you don't already have one. Good luck!
  • The best case scenario immediately following a reduction in force is for the president/CEO or owner or manager of the facility/company to have a brief general stand up staff meeting. It is his obligation to put the troops at ease and state the company's situation, not yours. You are sure to step in a hole if you go it alone. You cannot win and someone will hold you accountable for every word in your memo (that I hope you won't write). I'm sure that in some states, some jurisdictions would hold that a memo from an HR Manager telling people their jobs are secure serves as a promise of continued employment. But even on the non-legal side, it serves you no good purpose to say things like that in a memo. Prompt the executive staff to do that and do it soon. Otherwise, simply respond to questions by verbally stating, "It is my understanding....
  • New General Manager arrives, six months later he lays off the HR mgr
    "This is the only one we are going to lay off, I PROMISE!"
    6 months later he lays off the store manager.
    "This is absolutely the last layoff, I PROMISE!"
    6months later he lays off the Marketing manager.
    "Well I can't promise anything but I THINK this is the last layoff"
    All resumes being updated
  • Done Deal.... I will ask the CEO on Wednesday (when he returns) to make a brief statement... I agree not to have anything in writting- that makes the most sense- I just wanted to lift morale a bit- but I think me staying away from making any promises is the best solution!

THANKS MUCH
  • If you ever have to go through one again, you need to develop the communication plan for both employees being laid off and employees remaining BEFORE the layoff. It does not need to be a long detailed plan, but it should consist of drafted answers to questions that you suspect employees will ask. The answers must be truthful, but should emphasize the positive.
  • My company has been through several lay offs in the past 2 years. It doesn't get any easier, either. Of course it is my job to inform the people they no longer have a job, so I become the angel of death. It becomes easy to blame the messenger. Sounds like you are doing the right thing, don't make it any worse for yourself.

We have monthly "All Hands" meetings. After a layoff, the VP (top guy in our facility) calls a meeting and explains what happened and why. Then he tells people that we are finished with the layoffs, provided there are no other downturns in the business. No promises, just an assurance that our crystal ball indicates our manpower matches the current workload. It was his idea and he believes it must come from himself. My job is to gage the morale, and react appropriately. I walk around and talk to people. If I detect concerns or problems I keep the VP and supervisors informed so they can provide assurance as needed.