Alcohol Consumption while Representing Company

I just posted this on the Documents section, but now think it would be better here. Does anyone have a policy for alcohol consumption while representing the company? It hasn't been a problem, and we don't want to stop it, but in doing a risk assessment, I thought it should be addressed somewhere in our policies. Let me give you an example, the Bank pays for Officers (and above) to participate in a charity golf tournament. We do it as public relations/ community support. They play golf, have dinner and cocktails. It is normal socializing, usually people have a beer or two and that is it. But trying to assess the risk. . .(we probably have one or two functions a week - you know, the United Way Banquet, Person of the Year, the list goes on forever.) Does anyone address this formally? Thanks.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • > It hasn't been a problem, and we don't want
    >to stop it, but in doing a risk assessment, I thought it should be
    >addressed somewhere in our policies.

What do you mean by "addressed?" If your company does not want to stop the practice, what is the point of the policy? And adopting a policy that is not enforced is useless.

• The article that started this train of thought suggested companies should have a policy stating that overconsumption of alcohol was not acceptable, it should include reference to obeying drinking and driving regulations, etc. But it did not give exact verbage.
  • I see no reason to single out potential alcohol consumption while representing the company. If you have a policy at all it should be universal enough to cover 'conduct while representing the company', or 'conduct which might cause embarassment or harm to the reputation of the company in the community or business environment'. Am I to believe that those who do not drink 'a couple of beers' are incapable of the same behavioral consequences? My behavior, over my lifetime, has been much more questionable when I had not had a beer than when I had.
  • I assume you want them to be good representatives of the company whether they are enjoying a cocktail or two or not - so I would address simply the behavior, not the consumption.
  • I agree with Don D. You should address employee conduct while representing the organiztion. That way you cover yourself for any other poor conduct beyond the drinking. Some times it is better to be general. CYA
  • I agree with Don D. (which is only fair since I just disagreed with him on another post!) I'd address overall conduct and include that the employee is also responsible for the conduct of his/her guests at any company-sponsored function. This will give you the ability to address a spouse's or significant other's conduct with your employee. We had a VP, whose husband clearly had an alcohol problem. At our Christmas party, he danced with all the women that worked for his wife and rubbed up against them all.

I told her that if it happen again, the company would have to ask her not to bring him to any other company functions. Isn't HR a great job. There are days that timing bird poop looks like career advancemment!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • We address this in our drug/alcohol/weapons policy. The company provides 2 drinks only per employee. Here is an exerpt for you. Hope it helps:

Being "under the influence" of alcohol or drugs while on duty is prohibited. "Under the influence" means that you are affected by alcohol or drugs in any detectable manner. The symptoms or influence are not confined to those consistent with misbehavior, nor the obvious impairment of physical or mental ability such as slurred speech or difficulty in maintaining balance. The determination of being under the influence can be established by a professional opinion, a scientifically valid test and, in many instances, a layperson's opinion.

The Company may allow the consumption of alcoholic beverages, in moderation, at some Company-sponsored events or meetings. The company will provide only 2 drinks per employee. The over-use or abuse of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in these situations, and may result in disciplinary action. Subject to any applicable law, violation of any portion of this policy can result in disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal, even for the first offense.