1-2 great interview questions

Does anyone have their favorite interview questions for executive level candidate (development {fundraising} director). I would want something that would get to how well they'll relate to other staff, mostly professional educators/archaeologists. Their sensitivity to native peoples, people of wealth, etc. And of course their perserverance for the $$$ .

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • (1) If you were to walk into a roomfull of intelligent but otherwise dull and unengaging archaeologists, tell me two things you might do to liven up the group.

(2) Let's assume you are representing our firm/organization at a gala event with a goal of significant fundraising, say in excess of 500 thousand. The event is hosted by Mrs SilkBritches and is attended by the most influential citizens in 3 counties. There are also a few native Americans invited who will mingle with the group and share information about tribal events and customs. One of the wealthiest old gals there has been by the punch table three times too often and quiets the crowd down with a shuushhhhh! The room is silent and the old gal says, "Have you heard the one about the Squaw and the Wagon Train guide?" There are multiple moans and groans and most of the crowd turns directly to you. Tell me, how exactly do you handle this situation, remembering that your obligation is to the Native Americans and the entire group, and the offender is the largest potential contributor, who is sloshed?

I assume you wanted creativity. x:-)
  • I have to hand it to you. Not only creative but very clever. You get 4 stars. Have you ever had the opportunity to ask such a question?
  • No, but I was a guide on a wagon train once.
  • "Have you heard the one about the Squaw and the Wagon Train guide?"

No I haven't but would like to, please tell us!
  • I like this one: "how many pennies do you think it would take to fill this room?"
    The right answer is a question: "with or without us in it?"
    :)
    Cinderella
  • Wow Don D I like that!

Also how would you answer that. (smile)!

• I don't know how I would get through my day without this forum. Everyone is super! xclap
  • I'm going to be the Forum heretic (again!) and say that I don't like to ask "what would you do if" types of questions. I can spin out the best answer possible to that question, but that's no guarantee that I will do what I said when presented with the situation. I'd rather find out what they've done in the past because there's about a 95% correlation that's what they will do in the future. I'd ask things like:

"Tell me about a time at work when you were not sensitive to the needs of a co-worker." See if they justify their behavior. Watch their attitude as they talk about the incident. Resist the temptation to ask as a follow up, "What did you learn from it?" If they learned something, they will tell you. Otherwise, they learned nothing.

I also like, "Tell me about the last time you broke the rules at work." This is especially helpful with high level executives who wield a lot of power. This will tell you how they use it.

Last, but not least, "Tell me about the last job-related criticism you received. Did you agree with it?"

Hope that helps!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I can just as easily spin out the perfect answers to the questions you pose. I spent 5 hours with a female psychologist during my round of interviews for this job two months ago and can certainly handle a Tennessee lawyer with or without a jug of 'shine'.

My made up questions, for those who commented, were purely out of the blue, made up. They would be intended to get a feel for the applicant's creativity, ability to resonate and seize the moment of crisis posed in the question, show their ability to craft an immediate response to a multi-faceted, sensitive situation and to get them to express themselves energetically. Without being able to do that to my satisfaction would tell me they are possibly not the best candidate for the job posed in the post. I just think I could have more fun with and derive more meat from that question than, "Tell me about the last time you screwed up at work." That's a question for an archaeologist or an auditor, not someone who must go forth and collect a million dollars in pledges. But, as they say....vanilla and chocolate.
  • Apparently the female pyschologist didn't test you for curmudgeonism!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Well, I didn't spend 5 hours with him, but did spend a considerable amount of time. I did ask the "Margaret" question, about sensitivity. Guess what, he never had such a situation, in fact he sees that (his sensitive side) as one of his strengths. Right! I did the old fashioned role play, and told him I was the chairman of the Chicago Board of Trade and he had five minutes to ask me for money. He did a pretty good job, and asked for 25k. That was good, but I would have asked for 25k for three years, but then I am needy.

Thanks for all your input.
  • > I spent 5 hours with a female psychologist during my round of
    >interviews for this job two months ago and can certainly handle a
    >Tennessee lawyer with or without a jug of 'shine'.

I agreee, but for my money the jug of shine would be a welcomed addition. Don't you agree?