A Raise?

What type of negotiating can one do when asking for a raise?
My guy is in a field that is typically paid twice as much as he is (IS/IT)He hasn't been reviewed or given a raise in two and a half years. He has implemented programs that have increased the company's profits and is considered extremely important by the company GM (Hey! What's that? I am NOT biased!)
We just trimmed the Admin. Budget by a large amount. He is asking for 1/10th that amount and it will still not put him anywhere near what he is worth. He is getting the sinking feeling that The GM is going to deny him the raise. We work for a non-profit so that is why he is willing to go below the industry standard but not as low as he is currently. He wants to stay where he is too.
Any tips?

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When you are dealing with budgets and specially in your position where you are non profit it's difficult to justify a pay increase for an employee.

My suggestion is to look "outside the box". How much is this employee really worth to the company? And if this employee leaves will you be able to fill the position with a person as qualified accepting the same pay? Most likely you're going to end up spending more money if the person leaves recruiting, advertising and most likely you're going to end up having to pay someone at a higher grade point with the same qualifications.

I say you gather up previous performance evaluations, comments and achievements of this individual's and present it to your GM, it sounds as if he deserves it. he obviously admires the company and has no intention of leaving, it is hard to find employees that will remain loyal to the organization and that even says alot for your company.

Good luck
  • What's your organization doing with other employees? Do you have a formal class and comp plan, and is it possible to get a reclass of the position? I'd get together some comparable information from other similar organizations, many times it is available through professional groups, and present a logical, thought-out case if it's warranted. Good luck to both of you! : )
  • My advice is to take him home tonight, feed him some oysters and rock him to sleep. He will recover from this sinking feeling. We've talked before about your being entirely too close to his situation at work to get involved, since he works at your company and you are privy to all the personnel records and perhaps things he is not privy to. If he feels he is indeed paid considerably under his marketable draw, he should pump up his resume and engage in a sincere job search. Settling for less than the going rate is not often a good stategy. I've always said, too, 'get it up front or you ain't gonna get it'. x:-)
  • What a memory Don!
    I suppose you are righ but I would ask even for a friend, an acquaintance etc.
    Besides we can't afford oysters. HA!
  • Woman's version here.

Let the man negotiate his own destiny. You'll see what kind of a man he is in making a decision about this situation.

I personally would feel at odds furnishing him information that I had access to, as an HR professional. So.....I think you need to step back, listen to his woes, suggest that he make a decision about what to do, then stay out of it.

Zanne
  • I never, ever divulge company information with him. Everything he knew he found out on his own through the internet. He and I have a strict policy not to share any information that we do not receive during upper management meetings or as an upper management team.
    But I am taking your warnings seriously and stepping aside. My fingers are crossed though.
  • So.....I think you need to step
    >back, listen to his woes, suggest that he make a decision about what
    >to do, then stay out of it.
    >
    >Zanne

Dammit Zanne! You completely left out the oysters!
  • Well.........it's a new day and the sun's shining! I realize the month of May does not have an "R" in it, but did the market have oysters?
  • Hey Don, what's with the oysters? Do you know something the rest of us don't? Please, pretty please tell us.
  • Don, I'm curious also. Do you not make decisions without oysters?
  • YAY!!!
    We can now afford oysters!!!!
  • That's it??? No details to how it came about???
  • Well, we had the weekly upper management meeting wherein the GM informed us that he and the Board had planned the yearly budget the night before. He then proceeded to tell us that we were on the brink of extinction, everything was dire, and that we were all lucky to have a job, blah, blah, blah.
    So we figured no chance for his raise.
    Two days later he and the GM had a meeting and the GM gave him the (slightly reduced)raise with more to come in the fall where,usually, our numbers go up.
    I feel kinda guilty though, cause I've been given the task of cutting general staff payroll.

• "I feel kinda guilty though, cause I've been given the task of cutting general staff payroll."

You can't. If some people are underpaid, it's our job to make it equitable. If some are overpaid, well, same goes. We just put minimums and maximums on every hourly job in the company. Half the place got red-lined, some got cut, and they are not happy. However, when you have $15 per hour housekeepers, something has got to give.
  • Actually I'm going to have to cut hours and reduce staff not cut pay. It is not going to be pretty.

• I may be off my rocker here, but I have found it better to cut more staff then to just cut a few and then reduce the hours of those left.

It's quite the phenomena - if you tell your staff that if everyone takes a .50 per hour paycut or works 5 hours less per week then no one will have to be laid off, they'll say let the layoffs begin. No one believes they are the one who will be laid off while the concept of .50 less per hour or 5 hours less pay per week is very real to them.

You need to keep up the morale of those left. If they see people being laid off and you still have to cut hours...real bad vibes. Better to layoff a couple more and try to maintain the morale of the remaining.
  • It is always better to do a lay off and keep the remaining employees fully employed and paid reasonably. Spreading around the misery, just leaves you with EVERYONE miserable, instead of a few people who no longer work with you.