Office Fans

We have a new problem since the weather has warmed up - Fans are appearing in the workspace. Some of the employees feel they need additional air directed on them to stay in their confort zone. We have recently remodeled our offices and have added ceiling fans in all areas to supplement the air conditioning flows which negates the need for additional air. The problem - fans the employee chooses to bring in - too large for the work space, clip on to the new cabinets with cords hanging, etc. Our offices are not hot, but they seen to feel like they are. Most of the time they feel like you might hang meat in them.

I have been given the mission to write a policy addressing this issue, does anyone have any advice or a policy they want to share (email address - [email]andersonr@jimcolamp.com[/email])? My thoughts are limit size, must be approved by management, cannot interfer with work space. Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-23-03 AT 10:18AM (CST)[/font][p]You don't want them plugged in any way that someone could trip.
    And the biggest problem, what if the person at the next desk complains?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-23-03 AT 09:41AM (CST)[/font][p]In addition to the things you've mentioned, my main concern would be for safety: guards which meet OSHA requirements, extension cords, trip hazards, etc. I know it's hard to ban them, but that's probably the best option.
  • Reminds me of a factory office I used to work in. It was an old building and hot as blazes. One day the fire department came in and ordered all extension cords ( which happened to be connected to our fans ) removed as a fire hazard.

Chari

• Make sure the airflow does not bother coworkers by directly blowing on them. It's amazing the complaints we get - at the same time one is too hot and another is too cold.
  • At a former company I encountered the same problem. We went the safety route and banned all personal fans. We did, however, allow for the exception if the employee provided us with a medical certification of the need for a fan. Out of 100+ employees, only one was able to provide this certification and we allowed that fan.
  • rla: Don't forget to check your electrical systems; it reads like you are located in an old facility and the management is to cheap to get it right. Additionally, if there is a need for additional flow of air the company should be providing, that way you control the safety standards of the equipment. If you are having this problem in the spring and summer; I bet your facility has a bunch of those very expensive to operate individual electrical heaters. Don't forget your Information Systems manager or person, sometimes the additional flow of electrical power into the facility might also effect the operation of the computer systems. May everyone have a nice cool and Blessed day!

Pork
  • My "man that I am committed to" (not married, hate the term boyfriend)
    manages the IS department and needs his fans to keep all of his computers cool.
    I don't think management will listen to me about safety issues if it interferes with his computers.
  • Age old problem. In our factory, we had a similar problem, and as a resolution, we installed large air circulators while at the same time, banned the use of personal fans. Note that the Factory was not air-conditioned, (Boston, Ma.). My sense is that with the installation of overhead fans, that you are properly positioned to ban the use of personal fans.
  • As I am writing this, I have my little desk sized fan blowing cool air on me. If anyone tries to take it, I will have to kill them.

Seriously, this is an age old problem of being too hot or too cold, primarily from females. Most of the time, we have the problem of women working with no sleeves and no stockings and then wanting to turn the heat up while those of us who wear long sleeves and/or jackts swelter. There is the battle of the thermostat control. I see nothing wrong with a small fan if the cord is concealed and out of the way.

I wouldn't write a policy on this unless you feel you must. I would just email or memo everyone to be conscious of where they put their fans and to keep the cords out of the way. If someone gets too cold, it's easier to put on more clothes than to try taking off too many.

We have a bigger problem in the winter time with people hiding space heaters under their desks and forgetting to turn them on. We did have to ban these as this was a significant fire hazard. (In fact, we have people who have tried to run their heaters in the summer time. Go figure!).

Why is it that men rarely complain about these things?
  • Obviously, not many of you are middle-aged women! I, too, would attack if someone tried to take my fan! Seriously, if it is an aesthetic issue, have management choose a model of fan that is acceptable in style and size. Nothing wrong with requiring cords hidden and concern for neighboring employees.