Where do we draw the line in personal relationships between managers and people who report to them?

We're trying to write a policy that addresses when it is and is not appropriate for supervisors to "socialize" (off work) with people they supervise (and are responsible for evaluating and disciplining). And if appropriate, to what extent?

An example: We have a manager who was promoted from the line. Prior to his promotion he participated in "poker night" with some of his co-workers. Now that he's been promoted, he continues to participate in poker night but now he's the supervisor of the people he's playing poker with all night and drinking beer, etc. Is this still appropriate?

Does anyone have a short policy that covers this

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You aren't going to get very far with this one. I sense a bit of condescension and judgement in the tone of the post....e.g. "drinking beer all night". Supervisors cannot be restricted or prohibited from associating with direct reports, although I too feel they should avoid certain appearances.

As long as they are following, and you are following, the standard sexual harassment policy and law and as long as they are not supervising family members of significant others, if such is your policy, I think that's about as far as you can reasonably go.

I hope this is five card draw rather than strip poker.
  • Don's right. There's only so much you can do to control anyone's behavior outside of the workplace. If you try, they will do their dead level best to get around it. In larger companies, you rarely see the "higher ups" socializing with the rank and file employees because it just "doesn't look right" and there may be a perception of favortism.

In smaller companies, you see people up and down the corporate ladder socializing every day.

It really depends upon your corporate culture and personal feelings about this.
  • We have a conflict of interest policy which addresses behaviors which are not appropriate.

Managers and people they supervise socialize all the time. Gee, I wouldn't have anybody to go to lunch or shopping with, if we did not. Why in the world would you want to limit the socialization? Deal with the issues of inappropriate action (or inaction, as the case may be) but please let's not infringe on the individual rights of people to have friends and party.
  • Rely on the conflict of interest angle. Our policy covers situations such as this in a broad way, without being overly restrictive. The only time I've seen a hard and fast policy on matters such as this was the fraternization regulation we enforced in the military in which officers couldn't fraternize with enlisted members. Don't think that'll fly very well in the civilian sector (unless you adopt a policy to court martial offenders).
  • Although we do not have a policy banning this type of socialization, I choose not to socialize with non-HR ees. That is a personal choice. My reasoning is that I do not want ees to know personal information about me. I want to be viewed as neutral by the ees. Besides, it keeps them guessing!
  • And guess what? It happens all the time in the military anyway.
  • I know. I sat on a bunch of administrative boards for officers who just didn't get the point.
  • It is not always a bad thing. I had a friend in the Army become my supervisor, it sucked. I did not want to damage the friendship, so I ended up busting my butt more at work because of the value I placed on the friendship.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I couldn't agree with you more. I only socialize with HR ees but that includes those above and those below me. I think it helps us work better as a team.
  • The only policy I think you need is a Non-Fraterization Policy, which prohibits managers from dating people that are directly or indirectly in their chain-of-command. I do not recommend trying to outlaw fraternization or dating in the workplace. You won't stop it, but will simply drive it underground. Your real legal liability comes when managers date subordinates. I'd address that. I've got a policy I'll send you if you want one. Just e-mail me.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]