legal Pay for Holiday Hours

Hello,
I have several employees who are tellling us that it is the law I pay them time and a half if they work on a legal holiday such as the upcoming memorial Day? Is this true? If they work on Monday I am supposed to pay them time and a half? Is this against the law to have them work and not pay a hliday pay. anyone with info on this I would greatly appreciate knowing this.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It is my understanding that holiday pay is a benefit determined by the company. The laws may vary by state or unless you have a bargaining agreement, time and half pay or any holiday pay is up to the employer. We only pay holiday pay to ee's who are eligible for it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.
  • You are not required to pay time and a half for working on a holiday. You could do it, to keep the troops happy, but it is not required by law. I have worked part-time at a restaurant, a bookstore, and a supermarket and none of them paid more than straight time. I did HR for a movie theater and everyone was required to work holidays at straight time.
    You should have a policy addressing this, because some places do pay time and a half, and a few pay double for Holidays. (My experience is in Illinois.)
  • Our pay policy excludes holiday pay from overtime calcualtions. Otherwise if they work over 40 hrs. they get time and a half.

To answer your question, if their hours worked on the holiday is over 40 hours you should pay them time and a half.
  • We also exclude holiday pay from overtime. If an employee has to work a holiday, then we let them take another day off at a later time.