If we offer to one dept, do we have to offer to all depts?

We are a governmental agency with approximately 20 departments (treasurer, health, attorney, sheriff, clerk of court, etc.) We want to offer CPR classes to our employees. The cost will be $6 per employee. I am going to suggest that the departments split the cost with their employees (department pay $3 and employee pay $3.) I suspect that some department heads with only a couple employees will just pay the entire fee. However, some department heads are refusing to pay for any part of it for their employees ("If the employees want it, they have to pay the $6 themselves. It's not coming out of my budget!") Are we in trouble, if some departments pay for class for their employees and other departments require their employees to pay for themselves?

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I can not speak for a gov't agency but in the private sector, you are allowed to offer different groups different benefits. If you have a collective bargaining unit you may want to review your union contracts.
  • Tell those department heads who offices are elective that this is one of those trivial, stupid little decisions that cost them votes come election time. Otherwise, go ahead and let it fall where it may. You're not the one stepping in it.
  • Isn't it just ridiculous. You want to say "my God, it's $6 bucks to keep your employees happy, and possibly save your life one day..."
  • When everyone keeps transferring out of their departments and they have to keep training new people, remind them of this!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-20-03 AT 02:04PM (CST)[/font][p]
    Having worked in local public sector HR for almost 30 years, I can tell you that you may offer it for different agencies if that is the thinking of the powers that be (the County Board of Supervisors/Commissioners; Chief Administrative Officer; or the quivalent authorities in city jurisdictions), although Margaret Morford and you have it pegged right aobut the morale and turnover aspects if it is training employees want to have.

Many times various differences, such as funding issues -- whether the funds the agency receivis is primarily federal (such as public sassistance) or state or local -- may be the criteria (e.g., the governmental authority may not want to use local funding for the training but a federally-funded agency within the jurisdiction may have the ability to do it). But that may only be one rationale. It really doesn't matter. Unless there is a union contract provision that requires all employees in a certain classficaiotn across the governmental jurisdiction be treated to the same "training" it may be based upon the different agencies.
  • I have slightly different perspective. I am sure you may be able to come up with a rational that allows different departments to do things differently.

My question is this: Is CPR training an issue you employees will care at all about, either negatively (required to go) or positivly (desire the training)? There is potential to cause hard feelings with this at the cost of $3-$6 per employee. Maybe I work at a wierd place, but if employees in one department had the cost paid and others had to pay themselves, this would cause lots of conversation and ill will.

Also, a possible way to reduce the cost to your organization is to have your own employees trained to teach the class. The Red Cross and local hospitals provides the instructor calsses. Then all you will need is the books (which can be shared) and the testing stuff. See if the local Red Cross, hospital or EMS provider will loan the equipment for the class to your instructors.
  • We actually tried the Red Cross first, and it would cost $20-30 each (even with our own nurse) because they require us to buy the books (and to get the certificaton cards).
    CLP
  • If you are talking about a large number of employees, ask the Red Cross if you can "library" the books. That is what we do. We paid to have several of our staff certified as trainers and we pay a $5.00 fee (I think it that is what it still is)to the Red Cross for every person we train for the cards. We train around 300-350 staff per year. The childcare environment with a large turnover!
  • I think when the classes are over, you might send a nice little press release to the local paper... in it, you might specifically praise certain departments for higher levels of participation and thank (by name) those department heads for making the extra effort to increase the safety of their employees and the taxpayers they serve.

File this under "M" for "more than one way to skin a cat"...
  • HCA, while I personally think CPR training is great for everyone, I work for a City government and have to constantly appreciate the fact that much of our funding is from taxpayers. My questions are: Are you meeting an OSHA requirement or just wanting to offer a nice training program? How many employees are you talking about training? Will this training be done on County time or the employee's personal time? Will overtime be an issue? Since CPR training is usually several hours in length, if this is done during normal working hours, how will your organization meet its public service responsibilities?

If the training is work related then your organization should pay 100% of the cost. If its strictly a voluntary program, I would have the employees pay 100% especially since you have negotiated an excellent price.
  • This is not a requirement. Our thought was to not only offer the class as a benefit to our employees, but to offer it as a benefit to the public and coworkers (should the need every arise to use it.) I recently had my father drop in front of me and had not updated my CPR for nearly 10 years. Luckily, my mother and husband knew what to do. I went to our Co officials with the idea that no one should ever be in that position, and certainly not our employees with a co-worker.
    If we offer the class, the commissioners decided it would be a good benefit to offer and allow to occur on county time. We would run two seperate sessions so that the offices could be split (1/2 attend while the other 1/2 operate the department). There won't be any overtime issues. The employees will have to work out how to be there. We would give plenty of notice so the employees can make arrangments. Those that don't will just miss out.

• In a previous organization, I went a step further with the CPR training. I ordered placards with the Red Cross symbol and "CPR" on them. I put one on a top rail of cubicles of certified people. The "justification" was that if someone had an emergency, they could come onto a floor they were unfamiliar with and immediately find someone who could help. The hidden reason was to provide that little psychological pat on the back for the people who took the certification course.
  • You are brilliant! What an idea. Can I steal it??
  • Excellent idea WOCO! The next time I need CPR, I too would like to know which cubicle I should crawl toward.
  • It's probably easier just to loiter all day next to those cubicles, just in case. ;)