Safety Topics

We are trying to get our safety program up and running (seeings how it has been mandatory for years now!) Can anyone give me a general list of topics that should be covered in our safety meetings. (Ex: Trip and Fall; Ergonomics; CPR; Drugs and Alcohol Awareness, etc.)

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Also toss into the mix electrical safety (both qualified person and general), workplace violence, MSDS and hazard communication, bloodborne pathogen, back safety, ergonomics, the list goes on and on. It might be helpful to know what industry you're in -- that could dictate what topics you might want to add.
  • This is something we have to do here, too. We do security training (bank robbery) but not ergonomics or other safety issues. I've thought about having fire drills, too. Several years ago we offered CPR to all employees after a customer had a heart attack at one of the branches and was kept alive by a passerby.
  • Our Director of Ops and I spent a number of months putting together training sessions that covered two-three topics at a session and used PowerPoint presentations, lecture and video. Some of our presentations are really interesting and fun (the employees love to practice putting out fires with the fire extinguishers) and some are just flat boring, regardless of what you try to do to jazz it up.
  • There is a website you can access - [url]www.toolboxtopics.com[/url] - that has free, brief safety training discussions. The type of training that is required depends greatly on the type of company - if you're in manufacturing you should check the OSHA website. Some of the ones that I know are mandatory are: Hazard Communication, Blood Borne Pathogen, Lock Out-Tag Out, Personal Protective Equipment, Spill Prevention and Response, and Confined Space.

Good luck.

• We are a government agency, so we cover everything from road departments to attorney's offices to health departments. It's very general and encompassing.

The ToolBox website is excellent for ideas. Thank you.