Personal Digital Assistants

I have a client whose employees are starting to use their own personal digital assistants ("PDAs") to store work and company related information (especially salespersons and project managers). The employer does not provide the PDAs or reimburse employees who purchase them for work-related uses. I am looking for an employment policy to include in our Employee Handbook which will adress this issue, primarily the confidential nature of such information and the obligation to remove any such information stored in an employee's personal PDA upon termination of employment. I think that it is appropriate for me to include a policy which provides that, if an employee stores work or company-related information on a personal PDA, that this creates a right on behalf of the employer to access to the information stored. And, while I recognize that the most effective policy is one that would prohibit employees from storing any such work or company related information on their PDAs, this is, of course, not very practical, so I am trying to draft a policy which will address at least some of my client's concerns regarding the confidential nature of such information and how an employee may properly use it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Wow what a nightmare, you might be better off providing the PDA's then you can have them turned in when employment ends. Of course if they also synch them with their home computer you cannot do anything about that and would not know.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Jade: I think you're biting off quite a large bite to chew, and one that won't go down easily. I would not consider such a policy. Other than being quite unenforceable, it's also quite valueless. I can remember when terminated professionals were made to 'turn over' their daytimers and spiral bound, 4 divisioned notebooks and anything else they had that contained company information, including notes they took in last year's staff meetings.

I agree with the home computer or personal laptop comment also. There is simply no way for us to completely DEPROGRAM everybody who works here and leaves the company. And what about the personal scrapbook they had that included some pictures of the plant tour and the table/booth HR set up at the recruiting events, and the retirement party that included a shot of several expensive machines in the background; or the one-dollar spiral bound 12-month flip calendar I use on my desk to log appointments and other stuff of value to me. I have 19 years worth of these little jewels and never turned one in when I left a job, nor would I if asked to.