Harassment at Company Sponsored Functions

I will be conducting Sexual Harassment training with our Management team. I have had a question presented regarding harassment that happens at Company sponsored functions (Picnics and Christmas parties for example). These are activities that happen off-site after work hours. Are we (as a Company) as legally liable during these functions as we are during work time? Also, how have you handled these situations?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Most likely you are. It is a company function. Just like the company may have liability if alcohol is served. Many a career has been damaged at events like this.
    MY $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Yes. You are liable because it is company sponsored. How to handle it? Restrict the use of alcohol. Give out drink tickets or don't serve it at all. This will reduce your liability and risk tremendously. Now knowing that you are from Wisconsin, it ain't go'na happen that way! We give out three drink tickets to each person at the Christmas party. Some of us don't drink at all to keep an 'eye' on things. At the summer picnic, the whole family is invited. People act differently with their children, so this helps. Spouses/guests are invited to all events!! This is also a big help. You can also make this part of your harassment training. Let people know that company functions are also harassment free.
  • Ditto with what the others have said, you are absolutely liable for anything that has anything to do with the company! Even if it's just a manager taking out his/her team for drinks / dinner...no matter if it's a casual thing or not. This is especially true if the company is footing the bill. I agree that it makes more sense to limit the drinks with drink tickets, but beware of those who don't drink who give their tickets to someone who does! Probably more advisable to not have an open bar, but have drinks served at the table...one per person or have a bottle of wine per table sort of deal.
  • Although I agree with what's been said so far, I fail to see the direct correlation with the question and what's been said about drinking. The question was about sexual harassment, I think. The same answer applies anyway. You can restrict or prohibit drinking and still very likely will have employees who think a pinch on the butt is OK since they're relaxed and away from the office. I agree that the employees need to know these events are as controlled as are those at work.
  • Include in your policy about company sponsored events that the employee is responsible for the behavior of his/her guests. I had three incidents (at three different companies) where we had to address this. The wife of one of our employees was caught stealing beers from the bar and not paying for them, the husband of one of our employees got very tipsy and table danced using one of the linen napkins in a very suggestive way and my particular favorite was the husband of a VP who arrive pretty "lubed," forced all the women who worked for his wife to dance with him and ground himself against all of them. I'll send you the policy if you like. Just e-mail me.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Send the photos first. I'll let you know if I want the policy later.
  • >Send the photos first. I'll let you know if I want the policy later.

• > >Send the photos first. I'll let you know if I want the policy later.

So, is this comment harassment or just curiousity? Kidding aside, thanks for all the comments. I was pretty sure of the right thing to do, but wanted verification.

• We had this happen just a month ago. A senior staff member approached an ee at a dinner function. The ee turned down the advances. The Manager should have know better. He then asked if he could walk her to her car. She said no but he insisted. He conatced her a few days later and asked if she wanted to meet for drinks, again she said no and then filed the complaint. She informed us that at the dinner he said to her that she was beautiful and that she could go places. Needless to say he was terminated after a formal investigation.
  • Just my weak attempt at humor. Sorry.