Sales targets included in job description?

What do you think of including specific expectations in job descriptions, such as sales targets? For example, a personal banker sells overdraft protection to 10% of new accounts. A teller refers secondary services to 15% of customers. I believe that sales targets are a necessity, but it just seems very odd to me to include them in the job description.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What you have described sounds more like goal setting. When we do our 6 month and 12 month performance reviews, there is a section for goals. This is where our managers state the expectations for our sales techs. I don't think the job description is the place to set sales targets.
  • I agree x:o with Ritaanz. I don't think they belong there. Without a doubt, goals and objectives, targets or whatever they're called, will change before job descriptions do and you'll be republishing them too frequently. Annual goals and sales targets as well as bonus plans and the like should be separate documents, perhaps referenced in job offers, annual objectives agreements and KRA's.
  • I agree with my two colleagues above. (I'm sure the end of the world is near!) The specific targets should be in the employee's performance review each year. The sales targets may change year to year, particularly based on the economy and any new products you bring out. However, your job descriptions should have listed as a job duty "Meeting all sales targets as set by the Sales Manager."

Hope that helps.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]