Employees without titles - only levels

I am currently doing HR consulting work for a company of 30 in CA. Each employee in the Company DOES NOT have a title. In this Company there are only levels. Employees are categorized in 3 Levels - Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3. Level 1 is the lowest.

The level of benefits and Holidays paid vary from level to level so for example, if you are in Level 3 you get 10 paid holidays which is the most you can get along with all comprehensive Medical, Dental, Life, 401k, etc.

If you are a Level 1 employee then you only get 5 paid Holidays and no comprehensive Medical, Dental or Life Insurance.

My first question is: Can an employer legally create these types of levels without specific titles and offer differing benefits/holidays per level?

Secondly, if an employee has no job title, as described above, how should job descriptions be handled?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There is no law anywhere in the universe that mandates the classification of workers by title. They can be called Zapforce I, II or III. They can be called Level I, Level II and Level III. They can be called Blue Beta, Red Alpha and Beige Krypton.

IF the employer decides on written job descriptions, he might want to base them on the particular jobs and their characteristics. They needn't be tied to traditional job titles. If all Beige Kryptons do the same or similar things, he might draft a written description for Beige Krypton. Or Beige Brypton, Green Cell and Beige Krypton, Lookout Mountain Area.

I like the idea. Why get hung up and stay hung up on traditional job titles? If anything, a consultant must remain extremely flexible, careful to gauge the whims of the woman writing the check....and adopting her strategies enthusiastically.
  • If all the levels do not perform the same function, why not have titles and have a level I, II, or III associated with each title? If they are dead set against titles, you could have a level I-A, I-B, II-A, II-B, etc.

If they perform the same funtion, you only have to write three job description's you lucky dog.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-15-03 AT 12:03PM (CST)[/font][p]Employers often offer different levels of benefits to different levels of employees. It may not seem fair to those on the bottom but a lot of companies do it. Especially for the executive level for such things as relocation, bonus and percent contribution for health insurance. As far as titles go, you can give any job any title you want. Some of us are rather creative like Don D. I recently read an article about a company that gave it's employees titles from Star Trek. I found that very creative.