Timing Process

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-14-03 AT 07:31AM (CST)[/font][p]I am hoping someone out there could help me or guide me to the right direction. Our manufacturing facility requires our entry level position to assemble a certain number of products. For example an employee must produce in a minute 25 products. Are there any legal ramifications in timing an employee to ensure productivity does not drop? We find the employees slack off if not timed. Anyone out there has a similar process and how do you ensure the actual timing is done accurately and consistenly? Your comments and feedback are much appreciated.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We are also manufacturing and keep track of each employee's rate. For each job there is a rate assigned - how many pieces they should produce in an hour. This is tracked on a weekly basis and if an employee is below 90%, the progressive discipline process can begin. Employees often state that there are jobs whose rate is "easy" to make and others that are almost impossible. Supervisors typically try to take that into account.

As far as legalities, I haven't run into anything that tells me this is illegal.
  • we are also in manufacturing. I cannot imagine running a manufacturing facility without having the ability to check not only quantity but quality. Almost all of our jobs have minimum standards. Some of our machines even have counters.