Ergonomics Committee, HIPAA?

Two recent Repetitive Stress Injuries in our organization are forcing us to get serious about prevention. We have determined to form an Ergonomics Committee to look at the matter of work stations and equipment for all staff.

A few questions for you..

1. If you have an Ergonomics Committee, is it run out of HR, and what departments are represented? I think our Information Services, Facilities and HR departments will be represented.

2. Our IS folks have offered to go around and evaluate workstations, and i have some misgivings, wondering if I oughtn't to fork over the money to have a professional do. I don't want them to be blamed later for a back pain that develops and a person suspects the chair recommended did it.

3. How do I handle the routine disclosure of medical info that might come out between an employee and a committee member? Just caution the committee member not to discuss with others? And how do I make sure people know that anyone with a medical related need for a workstation accommodation should come directly to me?

All comments and sample policies welcome.

Thanks, Carol

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • IS staff (if that means Information Systems) have no business evaluating ergonomics issues any more than your accounting clerk does. Our safety committee, and the one at my last employer's, consists of a collection of people who can make a difference in the program. For example, Safety Manager, at least one VP (preferrably manufacturing or engineering), plant superintendents, HR Mgr or Director and Manufacturing Director with a couple of plant employees. No matter the titles, these seem to be the types of positions who can affect, impact, evaluate, discipline and manage the overall safety program in any company. Certainly not the IS staff. They need to be walking around fixing computer problems not walking around doing ergonomics surveys.

It is always best to have a professional outside the company do this particular evaluation, preferrably a certified/licensed physical therapist or similar professional, often even a retired safety manager or comp expert.

On another note, your discussions and any minutes must be free of names of individuals with medical issues. Change names to case numbers or something else that only HR can identify.