HELP!

I have an employee who "supposedly" (no documentation given) was went to the hospital over the weekend with stroke like symptoms. Her mother called in on Monday and later that morning the ee called to say, her doctor wanted her on bed rest for a couple of days and she should be in on Tuesday. Then on Tuesday she calls saying still not feeling well. She was informed verbally not to come in unless doctor ok's. A doctor's note was not asked for since she would not be off more than 3 days as our policy states. Now she is saying she would need time off for future doctor appts giving us the day only with no appt times saying she does not recall and the doctor ofc computers are down. This is all happening after she received a written disciplinary. She has not been the same since disciplinary.

What is the opinion of the gurus of the HR world? What can I do? Can I ask for a doctor's note? I usually ask any ee who has been ill or hurt to give me one I feel I am treating her differently but, do not want to seem like I am harrassing her either. This is very fishy to me. HELP!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-10-03 AT 08:27PM (CST)[/font][p]If she's been there a year, it sounds like she would qualify under FMLA for intermittent leave for a serious medical condition if her doctor's appointments are for the same condition and she did indeed have a serious medical problem.

I'd explain to her that she may be eligible for FMLA leave and that you need a doctor's certification. That way you can legitimately ask for the doctor's information. I wouldn't treat her any differently, if you have asked for medical proof in the past with others, I'd do the same with her. You wouldn't want to start a precedent.
  • Unless she presents satisfactory evidence from the doctor that she meets the requirements of FMLA, your normal attendance policy should apply. Be careful about telling employees not to report in, based on their phone calls to you. She will turn that on you in a hearing, saying, "Well, HR is the one who told me not to come in. It was their idea. I just did what they said."

Apply all of your normal policies, treating this one no differently. I wouldn't make any assumptions about the ligitimacy or exent of the illness that was reported to you, unless it comes from the physician. And if you have discipline in motion, or building up, don't let this blip derail it.