Interview questions

We are an off-site catering company getting ready for the busy summer ahead.
The managers are interviewing for server positions. The servers must drive either our company vans or their own car to the event.
Following are some of the questions our catering managers ask...

"Do you have a valid driver's license?"
"Do you have a car?"
"If our insurance company did a background check on your driving record, would anything come up that we would want to know about?"

Are any of these interview questions unlawful?
I would appreciate any thoughts on this!
(we are in Colorado)

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't ask if they have a car, but we do tell them that the job may require that they be able to go from one location to another and ask if they have transportation available. It isn't illegal to ask if they own a car, but it could have an adverse impact on minorities or young people (they may have a parent's car at their disposal, but don't own one themselves).
  • Why are they being asked if they have a car? Is it because they need to drive supplies to the site and back in their own vehicle? Or is it to see if they can show up to work? If it is the latter I wouldn't ask it. I'm not sure if I would ask it period if they can drive your company vehicle anyway. And I'm not sure in your state but I know some states will allow you to request proof of a clean driving record if they will be driving your vehicle.
  • "I know God only gives us what we can handle, but I wish he didn't trust me so much." Sister Therese

I would just stick to job related questions. Something like just giving them the job requirements and asking if any of them are a problem. I would stay away from a question that isn't job related for the reasons everyone else gave.
  • I used to work for a Visiting Nurse organization. One of the job requirements was having transportation to patients' homes. We would ask if they had transportation available for this "essential" job function. We would and could ask if they had a valid NY state drivers license. We would also do a driving record check if they were being considered for employment. They would have to sign a release to do this but it was not expensive ($10). We did not specifically ask if they had a clean driving record, however, when they saw the release to check their record, many people withdrew their application.