should we complete osha log?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-06-03 AT 02:15PM (CST)[/font][p]This started March 2002. We had an employee who collected the maximum under statutory disability (severe depression). Was terminated because she maxed out FMLA. Several weeks later, applied for unemployment, but since she couldn't work, she couldn't collect. So she filed a grievance with the Union that went no where. Now, she has filed a claim directly with the WC carrier, stating that she has really been out because she injured her back pushing a fork-lift (I kid you not). Even had medical records from a doctor (first seen by dr. April 2003) We doubt this happened. The WC carrier will object on all sorts of grounds. Do we have to complete the OSHA 300?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would complete the paperwork, but give your W/C carrier all the information you have and let them know we have reason to believe it may be a bogus claim. But do the paperwork - You don't want any type of possible claim of retaliation by not filing it. Then let the carrier investigate and determine whether it is valid or not. Barbara
  • Was the alleged incident reported when it occurred or was this a very late after the fact thing? You have two options, you could record it on the OSHA 300 log, and if you determine it not to be a valid injury, line it out at the end of the year. Or you can document the situation decide not to place it on the OSHA log and if the question ever comes up you can show OSHA the documentation. Really a personal call. I have done both. By putting it on the OSHA log, it protects you if she calls and complains, and you can void it at the end of the year...........no harm no foul.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman