Dress Code

2»

Comments

• We do air condition - many age groups - some are warm (those are appropriately dressed)those less dressed are cold and use the heaters. It is actually quite funny.
  • We had a very serious issue with the young ladies here - (both large & small) wearing thongs that could be seen either by color or by the tightness of their clothing. We treated the issue with humor. We promised that the "thong police" wouldn't be on the lookout if they didn't give us anything to look for. That still hsn't stopped some of our over 60 male crowd from gawking though.............
  • At a small hospital I worked in, there really was "thong police." (actually office nurses who hung out in the hallway) They complained about a heavy set young woman that as she pushed her dietary cart up the ramp, they could see her black thong under her white slacks. Now, personally, I would have worn another color of thong. ;;)

Any way, it was told to her (by her supervisor) that she couldn't wear "just a thong" to work and she should probably wear "granny panties" (white full size) from then on. Because the worker was unhappy about people complaining, she began wearing her granny panties with the thong OVER them and then the white slacks.

• On the vast majority of our employees, ANY underwear is better than none at all. Before I complained about the thong, I'd consider how much worse it could be.
  • I'm not trying to be titillating here at all; but, how can we issue policy or make comments about thongs as opposed to any other underwear that can be determined under clothing? I remember, and am sure you do too, when 'panty lines' were the hot topic on commercials and were the topic of the breakroom chatter. Zanne had a comment about 'wearing just a thong'. No, I think I would draw the line at that too. Just a thong? AnneLa remarked about the 'gawking over 60 males'. Well, I ain't near about 60, but I do have news for you on that one. The females over 60 are gawking and raising the hell about underwear, not the males. And the males under 60 are straining their eyes as well. The over 60 guys are probably just behaving, smiling to themselves and remembering carving their sweetheart's name in a hackberry tree trunk 40 years ago.

I worked in a government office in Greenville, Mississippi from '77 through '92. I'll try to be delicate here....We had a, shall we say, gentleman co-worker, who traveled to Houston for the implant of a pump device which had a specific purpose. The only kind of pants the man owned were old 60's double-knits or thin cotton. This guy caused us many more complaints, anxiety and trouble than all the panty lines in Greenville. He also was confronted by more than one husband at the local post office, where he seemed to hang out on weekends. How did I get off into this. Anyway, it's a true story. I would tell you his first name but you would swear I was lying!!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-12-03 AT 10:17AM (CST)[/font][p]Can you whisper it to me? You have got me very, very curious.
  • I had a similar situation in my lifetime. We had a policy but, this person was just not getting it. This is what worked for me, I contacted a couple of magazines that appealed to this agegroup, I asked if they had ran articles on professional attire or if they had ever had done a segment on appropriate clothing for work they pointed me to that direction. I had a meeting with the person, I started by complimenting them on their performance, went on to company policy and then to the articles on the magazines regarding appropriate attire for work. I explained the pro's and con's. I gave an opportunity for Q&A. Then asked if this was in any way offensive. This young lady was very appreciative and it pretty much took care of the situation. Soon after I contacted a copule of retail shops and had a couple of fashion consultants who assisted me in developing a presentation in appropriate and professional attire for all occasions. This was a hit. (I know it seems like it was a lot of trouble, but it really worked very well)