Policy re Lost and Found

Does anyone have a policy regarding how money that is found in their stores is addressed? Recently, one of our employees found $700 in cash, and the store manager did not report it! Now we are pondering what the specific policy should be, and what discipline if any, should be administered. The store manager claims that there was an existing policy (no evidence) that employees who found money would receive a reward for reporting the money found, and if after 60 days no one claimed it, and the money would be used for an employee party. We of course, think it should be turned over to the local police department, but then are wondering what we do if no one later claims it.

I would love to hear how other retail stores address this type of situation.

Marie Essig
HR Manager, Northcoast Cooperative, Inc.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Let me ask you this. Why would you not turn it into the police? I sometimes ask myself the flip side to help me decide things. Typically I have seen policies where they hold the money in the store for 30 days and then they donate it to a charity. Why not just turn it into the police and then if someone comes back looking for it, refer them to the police department. Most police departments will give it to the finder if it is not claimed after a certain amount of time. You would have to check with your local police department to find out what their time frame is.

"I know God only gives us what we can handle, but I wish he didn't trust me so much." Sister Therese
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-02-03 AT 01:06PM (CST)[/font][p]We have a policy that states failing to turn in lost articles or money is grounds for disciplinary action including termination. Any unclaimed property gets destroyed or donated after a certain time period. It's not the store's property and there is no "finder's keepers". With a large sum like that we would contact the local police department as well. Good luck.