Titles again

Does anyone still use the title Comptroller anymore? If so, who, on the totem pole would be higher.. a comptroller or Director of Finance? (There is no CFO title) Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • SONNY: I believe you would have to look to the position description. I have seen in the private business world a comptroller report to the Treasurer who reported to the VP of Finance (who was later promoted to CFO). Comptroller is a financial manager of current ongoing financial activities caused to operate the company to a budget and goals; the Director of Finance is in the line of control over resources of money: banking, loans, business investments, making the business money make money, Budgetting, etc. These personalities move up the ladder to Treasurer and CFO but on the other side of the ladder. Again look to the position description and figure out where the CEO sees the progression and competition to the highest levels within the company. Hope this helps, PORK
  • Thanks Pork, it did help. There is no position description. The higher ups are planning a reorganization and just throwing some titles around so far. Was trying to get a visual, which you gave me.
  • At the end of the day it boils down to what the owner or CEO wants to call whom. My previous company had accountants who reported to the Controller (comptroller), who reported to the CFO who was also the VP of Finance. I find that most times a Controller is a bit more hands-on with day to day activities, making routine things happen by interaction with and supervision of accountants and clerks. He/She actually sharpens his own pencil and uses it....and the CFO/VP/Treasurer type has the larger desk, a window, more phone buttons and calls the Controller into his office several times a day. He sharpens his pencil sometimes but always ensures that the Controllers finger prints are on it. He has typically attended magician school several times.
  • Thanks for the laugh, Don. They are envisioning the Director of Finance reporting to the Comptroller..in my non fiscal mind it would be the other way around. Out of my hands anyway, but appreciate the input from both of you.
  • Don't take it too far with those guys Sonny. They're the ones that can delay direct deposits, accidentally of course.
  • When I asked that same question I was told that a non-profit organization uses Comptroller (which I detest) and a for profit organization uses Controller!
  • Which is exactly why I still touch that paper every 2 weeks :) I am going to work on getting into the 90's and going to direct deposit tho.
  • Yes Sonny, do try to get into the 90s, and I trust you are still working on an eradication program for red ants. Hurry.