Help Quickly! Personnel Files

I know that an employee in PA has the right to inspect their personnel file, does anyone know how much of a notice that an employee has to give prior to inspecting? Also, does anyone know what I legally need to give an employee that is requesting a copy of the personnel file? Thank you for your help!
Have a good day!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not familiar with PA law, however at my organization in NJ our policy is the following: Staff members may review their own personnel field by submitting a writtern request to Human Resources representative." We typically schedule a time for them to review a day or two after we receive the request. Good luck.
  • According to my handy-dandy copy of the "Inspection of Employment Records Law", Act of 1978, "an employer shall, at reasonable times, upon request of an employee, permit that employee or an agent designated by the employee to inspect his or her own personal file used to determine his or her own qualifications for employment, promotion, additional compensation, termination or disciplinary action." The inspection must be during regular business hours, and you can also make the employee do it during free time hours. In addition, you can make the EE submit a written request. The EE does NOT have the right to view records relating to the investigation of a possible criminal offense, letters of reference, documents which are being developed or prepared for use in civil, criminal or grievance procedures, medical records (but check with HIPPA on this) or materials which are used by the employer to plan for future operations or information available to the employee under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act.)
  • Thank you for your help. That really helps. Have a good day!