Reasonable Suspicion Documentation

Recently had a situation where an anonymous message (supposedly from former girlfriend of ee) was left on the mgr's voicemail saying "Employee X" who works our 2nd Shift had come to work under the influence of amphetamines. I instructed the mgr. to observe and document his findings, and to also have another mgr. do so. Conclusion was that there was no evidence of "Employee X" exhibiting symptoms of illegal drug use. The manager documented findings very well, and upon inquiry from Mfg. Director, I stated I would place the documentation in a Reasonable Suspciion Investigation file, not the ee's personnel file. I've just been raked over the coals by the MD because he feels it was a waste of time to document if the info won't be put in the ee's personnel file for future use, positive or negative. Where would you keep the documentation?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added

• First, an MD has no business raking an HR employee over the coals, about anything, unless the HR employee has been found to be practicing medicine. MDs are trained in medical practice, not labor law and personnel best practices. Nobody with good sense would use an inconclusive piece of documentation that led nowhere in the past, so what's up with his suggestion? It would have absolutely no value and would tighten your noose in any hearing venue if you were suspected of basing a future decision, in part, on some unproven allegation from history. I find it a bit troubling that an anonymous allegation that was apparently without merit, based on hormonal rage and bedroom retribution no less, resulted in bringing into the loop at least four more professionals; a manager, another manager, a Mfg. Director and an MD. If you keep this at all, I recommend it be in the most confidential of locations. But, if you do keep it, what possible later value can it have?

• Sorry - I was using the initials MD as a shortcut for Manufacturing Director!
  • Number One: I don't put much credence in an anonymous call from a former girlfriend, etc., as they usually have an axe to grind and are merely trying to get the employee in trouble. I've had this happen before where an irate husband called me and said that his wife and another employee were having an affair and they were also using drugs I merely called the two individuals into my office along with their supervisor and told them about the call. I also told them that what they did in their private life (affair) was of no concern to me but if any of their behavior affected their work performance, it would be dealt with properly.

I just left it at that. I made a notation that I had talked with both of them in the presence of their supervisor. I kept this in the personnel file with all other disciplinary notations, etc., just in case anything came of it.
  • Hey Don, you better get your second cup of coffee, you missed on the MD thing x:D
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I therefore alter part of my prior post. Rather than saying a Medical Doctor has no business raking HR over the coals, let me change that to, "A Mfg Director has no business raking HR over the coals!" Manufacturing Directors are (supposedly) trained in the activities that result in moving quality made product off the dock, not the fine tuned skills required of HR professionals. On my last job I more than once told the Mfg Director, "I promise not to get involved in manufacturing decisions if you'll promise to not get involved in HR decisions." On another occasion he got his nose out of joint when he found out there was a sexual harassment investigation underway by me, and he was not informed, I told him, "The investigation is confidential and others will be involved only on a need-to-know basis. That includes you. The position of HR Director was open when I applied for it. If you had wanted it, you should have submitted your resume just as I did."

I don't know the company culture where the poster works; however, I'll say that I would not have involved the MD at all. It did not need to go sideways two boxes and up another level based on the information you had. Manufacturing Directors often have the 1950-1980 Plant Manager mentality...that being everybody works FOR them, even Personnel, and they can call most of the shots and minipulate the rest. Sorry if I misjudge the guy, this is what my gut tells me. Anyway, ignore his chastising remarks unless you report to him.
  • I agree I would not have started an investigation on an anonymous phone call - however, the employee would be on my next random test list.

I have a confidential file full of all my drug testing forms, lists, etc. No one goes in there but me. That's where I'd put it.

Absolutely not in a personnel file - drug testing results don't go in there, why should an investigation that came up with nothing?
  • Thanks for the responses. Don D - the Mfg. Dir. is involved because the 2nd Shift Manager copies him on all correspondence to me related to ee issues. My integrity and intelligence are constantly put to the test by the Mfg. Dir., in part because he likes to push his "weight" around, and I am a female and work in HR, thus I am easy fodder for him. You've read him right! Leslie - good suggestion but we don't do random drug tests. Maybe I should hope he has a work injury requiring off-premise treatment - then he'd need to undergo a Post-Accident test. As for this incident - The documentation will stay in a separate file.

• I have news for you. Female HR people are typically the most respected, admired, feared, valued and emulated people in an organization. (I've broken hearts saying that, I'm sure). If the MD is perceived as a bully who throws his weight around and intimidates, there's you a new goal for the second half of 2003. Directors and managers of other departments have no business or expectation of 'testing other department heads' integrity and intelligence. Either win his respect through superior performance, or, if that's impossible, and it probably is (because of who you're dealing with), line your toes up with his and teach him through your actions that you will from this day forward stand your ground and run your own shop, without criticism or muster from him. Some people will never accept some people. Don't be a victim of that. Be a survivor of it. And do that by telling him to back off. If you tell him to back off three times and he does not, tell him, "We've already had this conversation. The HR staff do not report to manufacturing."