Severance Agreement

Sorry to impose on you all so early in the week. I have been directed by our CEO and Board that we have to terminate one of our executives, if possible today. We have taken preliminary steps in documenting lack of performance. A couple of bells ringing are that the executive is a female, over forty, and well versed in labor law. Colorado is an at-will state, but I want to make sure this doesn't come back to bite us. What a Monday!

We want to offer her a severance, including 3 - 6 months of pay. Do you also offer health benefits. Pay in one lump sum?

Would any of you that have done this in the past have a severance agreement that addresses a "covenant not to sue". If so please email me at [email]mrobinson@crowcanyon.org[/email].

Thank you in advance for your much needed help.

Moria

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Regarding the severance agreement - we typically pay the severance as part of our regular payroll so they continue to receive "paychecks" for a period of time. In addition, we maintain their health insurance for that same period of time.
  • We offer benefits continuation by placing the ee on COBRA, then paying the COBRA bill for a defined period of time. We pay the sevarance in portions broken out bi-weekly so and if an ee is re-employed by our company, severance payments cease. (I don't know if this would be necessary in you executive's case). You'll also need a good release agreement. I will forward you a draft via e-mail, but you'd be best off running it by your attorney.

Good luck!