Leave of Absence Forms

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-25-03 AT 03:15PM (CST)[/font][p]I need to ask for some advise. We have a supervisor in our company that will not let a department run without her having control of everything. Our human resources department is new and we have been developing it for a little over a year now.
Employees in our company are given sick, vacation and a personal day at the beginning of the year and I am the one who keeps track of all the hours taken, requested and accrued. I also developed a leave of absence form that is filled out every time someone is off. I also have on the form whether the hours taken is paid or unpaid.
Normally, when someone calls in sick I automatically deduct the hours and fill
out a leave of absence form. When I do payroll I attach the leave of absence form to the time card for the supervisor and the employee to sign. My question is this.....
Is this wrong? The supervisor who feels the need to be in charge of every department, went to the director and said that I should not be filling these forms out for the employee. It should be filled out by the employee only and given to the employee by the supervisor. Well I feel that since I am the one who keeps track of everyones hours and has access to what is available to them is the most efficient way of doing this. Please let me know if I am wrong. I am the only person in human resources and my title is Human Resources Administrator. All of the other supervisors love the way that I do this because they have no idea what the employee has available as far as sick, vacation and personal day. Besides, It's my way of making sure I received this form. My director and I insist on always doing what is right and that is why I am writing to you with this question.
Thank you for your help.
Liz Conrad

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Liz: I see no problem with your initiating the form and commend you for figuring out a solution to the problem where you work. If the procedure has the blessing of your boss, go for it. Let the control-freak supervisor get his shorts twisted.

Tell him the procedure has been put in place on a trial basis to see if it helps the overall tracking of time and leave. If he persists, tell him (or maybe don't), "If you won't run Human Resources, I'll promise not to run production (or whatever)".

If you're a more gentle soul, tell him, "It's working really well. I'm interested in your thoughts, though. Tell me why you think it's not working well."
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-28-03 AT 10:21AM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-25-03 AT 03:32 PM (CST)[/font]

Thank you Don.
    Liz
  • I like your system. Our supervisors are always calling to ask if employees have any more paid time available. With your system that would be eliminated.

Unfortunately there are people in every company who play 'office politics'. "If I make someone else look bad, it makes me look better." Hope your boss is savey enough to recognize their behavior for what it is.

• Additionally, it is not illegal for human resources to initiate and even complete forms for people to sign. This facilitates processes, makes companies run smoother, and even keeps supervisors from having to fool with the mundane stuff HR wades around in half of the day. I have a new rule of thumb that your post just brought to mind: BEWARE THE SUPERVISOR OR DEPARTMENT MANAGER WHO FLASHES LEGAL CARDS WHEN THEY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO TRAINING IN THE SUBJECT.
  • Thank you Don for your help. I will have show all the responses to my Boss. I may have to delete a couple of things I wrote, but this is GREAT!!!!. I love having this forum. You guys are great!! I need to make sure I have my ducks in order before I try to fight for my system back.
    Thank you again....
    Liz