I-9 form

Margaret Morford provided a sample policy entitled "Employment Eligibility Documents" [retrieved from HR comply a little while ago], language was inserted that said: ..."Employees will be expected to complete the I-9 form during orientation on their first day of work."

My question is that I have required completion of the I-9 form, along with all of the other associated paperwork, prior to beginning work as a new employee of the Library system. I have felt it in the best interests of the organization to have everything done, and ready to go before working for us.

Is this legal to be doing? In the same sample policy, it is stated that "...if a new employee is unable to provide the necessary documentation within three working days from the date of hire, he must provide proof that he has applied for the required documents." This last statement indicates to me that perhaps I cannot dicatate that the I-9 form must be completed before starting work with us.

Any insights would be most appreciated. I have looked in all of my current resources but can't seem to find the answer to my query. Thanks. gap

Comments