Hostile Work Environment

I have a manager with an out of control temper. He has gone off on tirades throughout the store over any little thing. He went off at me for not getting out of his way fast enough when he said "excuse me". He screamed at a computer programmer, who is worth alot more than we pay him, about an issue that had absolutely nothing to do with him. He has been spoken to a number of times about this and even admits that his temper is out of control (when he is in his cheerful times). BUT- he is really good at what he does, loves his work, and brings in the profits.
I think this is verging on (or darn well already is) a hostile work environment.
What do you guys think?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Absolutely it is - you know about his "going off" because he has done it to you, and you've seen him do it to others. Has anyone lodged an official complaint?

Y'know, no matter how good this guy is, are you willing to start losing other good employees because they can't work under this situation (like your computer guy who is worth more than you pay him)?

And you know it would be constructive discharge - a work environment so bad that employees feel they have no choice but to quit. That HR has knowledge and let the guy continue multiplies your culpability.
  • I have done all I have given the authority to do, advise the GM and my advice has to terminate. But after telling the GM about the latest incident the Mgr is stil. here. Sigh.
  • Profits or not, his anger management issue needs to be addressed formally by his supervisor. As much as I hate to say this, does your company have an EAP? I personally feel that EAP is too often used as a panacea for poor supervision, but in this case it could have a real impact ASSUMING that the EE is motivated to change, and that's where his supervisor comes in. The supervisor has to make it worth his while to go ahead and work on his anger problem, and retaining your job is a strong motivator. You can attend EAP ad nauseam, but if you don't agree that change is necessary nothing will come of it.
  • We don't have an EAP, and I'd love to know how to get one and the costs.

• Our EAP is with NEAS, Inc. [url]www.neas.com[/url].

Eva
  • While this may very well be viewed as "hostility", it doesn't sound as though it's hostile work environment under Title VII. The conduct doesn't appear to be of a sexual nature. Your particular state might have a statue that would view this behavior as unlawful----intentional infliction of emotional distress and you'd probably need advice of counsel to flush this out.

It may very well be nothing more than an anger management issue with the employee and it sounds as though his behavior is disruptive enough to the workplace that it needs some attention. The fact that he's been counselled probably needs to rise to a more formal disciplinary level to get his attention. I doubt your organization condones this type of behavior and unless you want to give him the "key" to being allowed to act like a jerk, it needs some attention. If you have an EAP, they might be able to assist; otherwise you might encourage him to pursue other awareness avenues while understanding that his behavior at the workplace must improve. Great performer or not..... Good luck
  • We had a similar situation with a physician demeaning and verbally abusing two employees that he worked with to the point that they refused to work with him. One of the employee's husbands actually met with us and said if we didnt' take care of it, he would go to the hospital and take care of it himself. The CEO and I both met with the doc and made him apologize. After the first incident, I suggested that he attend some anger management classes. He never followed up on this.

After the second incident, the CEO and I both made it mandatory that he attend the sessions. He was not too happy, but he is attending now. I certainly hope it makes a different.

What you described would not be considered "hostile work environment" under Title VII as the behavior does not violate race, sex, color, religion, etc. It is simply a horrible work environment, but nonetheless, needs to be addressed because you are apt to lose good employees over this bad apple.

Hopefully, your GM will make it mandatory as a condition of continued employment that this fellow attend anger management classes.
  • I agree that this does not meet the criteria to be considered a true "hostile work environment" as stated in the posts above. I would however be concerned about a violence in the workplace issue as it sounds like this person is either very close to being physically violent or may push a fellow employee over the edge into a violent situation. He needs to have some meaningful discipline that emphasizes your zero tolerance for his behavior in your workplace.

Good luck and be careful,
    Stuart
  • I'm no psychologist; but, I think his behavior is simply a product of his personality and I also think that we do not change people's personalities, especially when they enjoy them, which he probably does. So, it's sorta like dealing with the waiter in a tuxedo who toots when he seats patrons. You simply cannot have it no matter how well he looks in the tuxedo. He either stops it or he goes on down the road. I also think we do not need to wait for the law to provide us with a requireement to redirect behaviors....in this case, we should just act reasonably.
  • I agree with Don. I also agree it is not hostile work environment, but could result in a construictive discharge suit from fellow victims......I mean employees.