"Non Compete" or "Lunacy"?

Here's an odd twist. When I left my prior company with two weeks notice last month, I waited until my very last day to say a word about where I was going. I was involved in a very orderly transition and chose not to discuss my future. When I left I placed maybe 25 or so letters in various mailboxes of friends and coworkers advising my destination. Out of pride for the new job, I even included a couple of website pages showing the new company. I even sent one to the owner. Now, out of the blue, I get a formal letter, certified mail no less, from the CFO advising that "You have a signed agreement stating you will not recruit our employees for a period of one year after your departure" and generally admonishing me for activity I did not engage in.

Long story short, I wrote him a stinging letter telling him that his training in accountancy does not transfer to or prepare him to negotiate legal waters which he has no business wading into. It really chapped me that he wrote the letter and chapped me more that I had to go to the post office to sign for it.

The agreement he speaks of, I suppose, is the traditional form every new ee signs regarding patents, rights to products developed, customers and proprietary information.

As much as I liked working with him, I invited the jerk to pursue the matter through his attorney.

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I vote for lunacy. . . your departure obviously left a void in human resources, let alone the pool of common sense. How sad, though, that they choose to see it that way, instead of wishing you well on your new path. Try not to let it leave a bad taste in your mouth - you obviously did an outstanding job for them while you were there.
  • Don-
    Welcome back ! Re your post, I would vote for "lunacy". Obviously, this CFO
    was not one of your friends to whom you confided...

You went to a better place, and I wish you the best of everything !

Chari
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-22-03 AT 09:13AM (CST)[/font][p]Wow, telling people where your new place of business is immediately computes to your former CFO that you are recruiting his employees? He must not be very secure about the workplace environment he provides - or maybe he perceives you as the Pied Piper...all you have to do is say where you are and people will follow!

So far unanimous - lunacy. O=*
  • Sounds like our CFO. I vote for lunacy. It sounds as though your head beancounter might have just felt compelled (for some reason) to crank off a letter reminding you of the obligation you agreed to when you started there and probably gave little thought to the way the letter would be perceived. But then, in my opinion, accountants aren't known for their sensitivity (most employee conflicts I have originate with supervising accountants).
  • Wow, you guys are being hard on us accountants. Although, I guess I don't fit into the same category as most accountants because I am sensitive (haven't you noticed, you hurt my feelings, just kidding). I also vote for lunacy. Sounds like his pride is hurt because you left his employment. He will get over it.
  • Now, now, I think you may be a little hard on the CFO. Clearly he's simply throwing a temper tantrum like a two year old does when he doesn't get his way. No, nevermind, it's clearly lunacy.
    Don, don't forget to update your profile and remove your old company info.
  • I go with lunacy as well, but would let it go, not worth a battle that seems to be sour grapes. .am wondering if he (or someone) somehow interpreted the inclusion of the web pages as recruitment? Ours has a link for job opportunities. Bet someone said something that got from a molehill to a mountain and instead of checking with you they fired off the letter. Anyway, it is a stretch, but a thought.
  • Ditto for lunacy! Doesn't that just reinforce to you that you made the right decision to change companies???
  • I vote lunacy. Sounds like the CFO has his knickers in a twist and is starting to realize what an asset you were. His loss! I hope you enjoy your new job!
  • Don:

I'm on the side of lunacy and insecurity. You must have had a great following like you do here at the Forum.

I agree that you probably made the right decision to change companies.

Zanne
  • Don, what do you expect? After all, YOU weren't around to advise them on how to do it right. Their loss.
  • I'll go with lunacy but lunacy of the type that infects a lot of companies. Mountains from molehills; act first, think later; screw you before you screw me....I'm sure you all know the drill.....

oops, I think my cynicism is showing x:-(
  • Most definitely lunacy! Your old boss is scrambling because he knows how well liked you were and he thinks his employees will start to follow you out the door. Happened to a friend of mine when he left a company, his bossess all thought that his friends would follow him out the door. Just goes to show how valuable you are and how lucky your new company is to have you.

x:D

Welcome back! I for one missed your comments.
  • TALK TO ANY EMPLOYMENT ATTNY, THOSE AGREEMENTS DO NOT HOLD WATER IN ANY COURT. I WENT THROUGH A CASE AND I WON!! x:D
  • Here's another vote for lunacy - of the paranoid family. Aren't financial types just so sensitive and caring? If I were you I would put it out my mind. They obviously are in dire need of competent HR assistance.
  • Lunacy, sounds like someone forgot to take their medicine. LOL.
    Don't sweat it Don.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Welcome back, Don.

Your former employer just did not have competent HR advice. But why involve attorneys and make them rich. You write well, so just send him a letter advising that you were simply staying in touch with old and dear friends. So sorry he missunderstood. That'll kill him!
  • I vote Lunacy as well.

Psychologically speaking, it sounds like separation anxiety. I see it here with one supervisor in particular. When an employee leaves, this supervisor does all he can to make it look like we really didn't need them anyway, makes them look like the bad guy, and damages their professional credibility. We had one previous employee threaten a defamation suit because the supervisor told the remaining employees that she left because she didn't like her new (smaller) office. We had to give him a good lecture.

Feel sorry for the guy. He misses you :) Then find out if he is damaging your professional credibility among your ex co-workers and threaten a lawsuit of your own :)