Drug Screen

This is a good one! (But I am sure many others have had the same experience?) 8-|

I offered a position to a candidate; unfortunately they did not pass the drug screen. I told, who would have been the candidate's supervisor, that we had to retract the offer because they didn't pass the drug screen. When the supervisor was asked by his ee's when the "new guy" was going to start, he told them that the “new guy” was not going to start because they didn't pass the drug screen. #-o

With out my knowledge, the candidate's fiancé works in another department here. I got a call today, from the former candidate, asking why everyone knew that they failed the drug screen. I told them that it was not information that we passed around, and that I would try to find out the source.

Question...should I say something to the fiancé? The CEO has told me to keep quiet on the matter for now. I am sure that the fiancé is very embarrass and is feeling very uncomfortable having co-workers asking why their fiancé fail the drug test.

I wish my office had padded walls today! As always, thank you for your time and please have a wonderful Mon.! x:D

Kari

P.S. I did talk to the supervisor and reminded him about confidentiality

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would NOT recommend saying anything to the fiance. This was confidential information in the first place and discussing this with the fiance would only make things worse. If the fiance asks you, I would tell them to speak with the candidate. I would also refrain from discussing the exact terms of why a person cannot start with a supervisor in the future. Should this situation arise again, I would simply inform the supervisor that the offer had to be retracted. They will probably deduce the reason why but at least you know you have maintained confidentiality.
  • All my supervisors find out is that someone did not qualify for employment. As Linda says, the can presume anything they want, but you've maintained confidentiality. If they speak out of turn, then you have a disciplinary issue with your supervisor. And I would not speak with the fiance.

My topper is I had an employee out on work release. He failed a random drug test, and per our one strike policy, was discharged. The GM turns out to be a good friend of the police chief, and says to the police chief that so-and-so isn't working for us anymore because he failed a drug test. The police chief calls me and wants verification of the failed drug test so he can send to the sherriff's office to rescind the work release. When I refused to speak of it with him, he comes out with, "I know he failed a test because the GM told me so." I responded, "Goody for you, but I'm not discussing anything with you."

To make a long story short, I went to Legal who told me to give the police chief a copy of the discharge paper (which stated the employee was fired because he violated policy and procedure) and that was it. Don't know what has happened since.
  • Although you're in a tight spot, don't confuse spreading this sort of information with violation of medical records protocol. Remember that a drug screen is not a medical test and you're not in as deep do-do as you might have thought, although there is a faint smell. I agree with others that a fiancee has no more business knowing this than the applicant's mother or uncle would, which is zero. But, whatdaya reckon is the chance the fiancee doesn't already know about the drug use? On another note, it's not necessary to tell people that 'I have extended an offer' for precisely this reason; but, if you do tell that, let the assumptions fall where they may when you have to retract and don't even reveal it to the supervisor. As for the snorting convict, I agree with Leslie as to how she handled that, although I do hope Leslie doesn't have to call this chief in the future about dismissing a traffic ticket. xpray.
  • Thank you all again so much, you have suppressed my anxiety!

Kari B-4
    :-S

Kari After
    x:-)
  • This happened to us before, turns out the guy was 'assuming we told' we told a friend of his, he tried to sue because HE now had concrete documentation,, yada yada,
    I agree with the other ones. Don't say a word to anyone else and remind your management not to blab to anyone else!:-S
  • Just curious... what did you hope to gain by talking to the fiancee?

It is our nature as HR pros to want to be able to correct or smooth over every bad situation. Sometimes, we have to recognize when the best we can do is to try to keep it from happening again. This looks like one of those cases.
  • Don't talk to the fiancee. It would only further violate any confidentiality that the drug screen was supposed to have.

I use the terminology that the applicant didn't pass all of our "screening tools" when I have to let a supervisor know that a job offer was rescinded. I probably ought to just say "I had to rescind the offer" as suggested above and let the chips fall where they may.

These things happen and it's best to add it to your learning experience. We ALL have a story or two like this knocking around in our war chest. Probably even knocking around in our office as we type! x:'(

Zanne