Hidden Cameras

We've experienced a rash of thefts in our company recently, including the HR digital camera! We have reason to believe it's an employee. We have on-site security which all employees know about. My question is can we ever conduct searches and can we mount hidden cameras without notifying employees? Thanks much!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, your company can purchase and install cameras, whether hidden or not, in any area where there is no 'reasonable expectation of privacy' such as a locker room or restroom facility. It's wise to address this in a written, posted, diseminated policy statement before switching on the on-button. Ask your attorney about a search policy before putting that in place, but, they're legal in most jurisdictions with the proper notice to employees and the public. I'm 99.62% certain that the theft of the camera was an inside job. Somebody was casing the camera as soon as you pulled it out of the sack.
  • Don D is right. Just want to add that the cameras can only record video and not audio too. I'd say I'm about 99.78% it was an inside job.
  • Don't forget to also involve your local police department. I would think employees would be less apt to steal if they know that the police are becoming involved. Good luck!
  • Agree with other post. Using a hidden video camera, "no audio" should probably be just fine. If you have more concern, prior to installing the hidden video you may wish to speak with your company's attorney. It is interesting how your thefts keep occurring...
  • I have used cameras in the past, and as we already had cameras at all entrances and exits we had no issues and did not notify anyone as it was already posted. Hidden cameras can be the most effective although I have caught thieves with cameras that were in plain sight also. People get used to them and forget they are there. You can do it yourself, or hire a company to set them up. Be prepared to terminate though, theft is theft, you may be surprised with who you catch.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman