Employee's Mouth Runneth Over

I have offered an ee a higher position in our company. I informed her that this decision is confidential until upper management has had time to discuss the issue within the department.

As soon as my meeting with said ee was over, she begins blabbing to her fellow co-workers that she has been offered this position because she works the hardest and is the only one who can handle the position, she also says she would be getting an increase and tells them how much money she would assume she would be making. First of all, no salary was discussed in my meeting and now the other co-workers are upset because they were not offered the position. So, i'm now in the middle of a major mess.

Would I be within my rights to rescind the offer to this ee and now post the position and require testing to be completed for all ee's who are interested in applying???

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First - Be sure to document everything that you said to this employee, and what/how/when you know that she was talking openly of a confidential matter.
    Second - bring the employee in and inform her of all the facts, and that the
    position is being reopened for competitive testing. Have a witness present when you do this. Third - post the job opening.

Chari
  • Ditto the above. And try (really, REALLY hard) not to tell the employee that she's about as discreet as a lime leisure suit at a funeral.
  • >Ditto the above. And try (really, REALLY hard) not to tell the
    >employee that she's about as discreet as a lime leisure suit at a
    >funeral.

What a visual. I love it!

• It is was me, I would definitely rescind the offer. I don't think I would want someone in a higher position that (1) could not be trusted to keep confidential information confidential and (2) cannot follow even the simplest insructions and (3) and bends the truth. This individual is not management material.

• Before rescinding the offer, you might want to consider that speaking to co-workers about salary is protected activity under the NLRB. Why not have a meeting and let her know in strong terms that what she did was inappropriate, and educate her as to why it was inappropriate? You obviously saw potential in this person. Why chop her off at the knees for one mistake? Remember what Admiral Nimitz said: "Every dog deserves two bites."
  • I disagree with Crout, she may deserve another bite, but should have to wait. Showed poor judgement or a lack of intelligence, or both. I would bring her in rescind the offer and tell her why. Let her know maybe in the future she will be considered again.
    My $0.02 worth.
    D The Balloonman
  • While discussing salary with co-workers is protected activity, I don't think discussing potential salary is protected. According to the original post there was no salary discussed with the ee yet. She was talking to co-workers about what she expected to be making. She hasn't even started the position yet and it already seems like the promotion has gone to her head. I don't think that will decrease any if you give her the job.
  • Disagree with Crout also. I think what you were trying to avoid here was the discord and lack of harmony produced by her mouthing off that she had been offered the job. Discussing possible pay increase was just icing on the cake. Sounds like she was already lording it over the minions, and needs some training before even being considered for another supervisory position.
  • >Before rescinding the offer, you might want to consider that speaking
    >to co-workers about salary is protected activity under the NLRB. Why
    >not have a meeting and let her know in strong terms that what she did
    >was inappropriate, and educate her as to why it was inappropriate? You
    >obviously saw potential in this person. Why chop her off at the knees
    >for one mistake? Remember what Admiral Nimitz said: "Every dog
    >deserves two bites."

I thought about this, too, but since she was not offered a particular salary and she just assumed she would get such and such, I don't see where this was covered. The issue was that she was asked to keep the conversation confidential until it could be further discussed, and she chose not to. To me, this is a trust issue, and I don't know that I could trust this person in a higher level position.

• Good thing you guys weren't in Nimitz's chain-of-command when he ran his destroyer aground. His career would have ended early and we might've lost World War II. But, seriously, the NLRB issue was mentioned as nothing more than a consideration, i.e. something to think about when reaching a decision. I agree that it appears the EE made a bad mistake. The only question is will the punishment fit the crime? It's a judgement call, but with all things like this there are mitigating circumstances to consider such as the EE's overall performance record and past management practices.
  • "I have offered an ee a higher position in our company. I informed her that this decision is confidential until upper management has had time to discuss the issue within the department."

Although the employee is definitely guilty of really poor judgement and a few other things identified by the other posters, I want to ask you why you "offered an ee a higher position"..........before "upper management has had time to discuss the issue"? Sounds as if you, or someone, was a bit too anxious to let the cat out of the bag. I'll bet that when you ask her why she did what she did, she'll tell you, "I didn't realize you meant NOT to mention it AT ALL. I thought you meant don't tell anybody it's a done deal."

You obviously had her so pumped up about the new job that she heard maybe half of what you told her. Sometimes when we get really great news, we can't decide which to do first; wet our pants or go tell somebody else. Proceed more cautiously next time. x:-)
  • T: You have once again validated my preaching on this FORUM for HRs to always remain out side of the chain of authority. By becoming directly involved with the interview and promotion aspects, an HR will always be put in this type of situation; this is a negative situation and you do not ever want to go there.

It is alright to have interviews of the company employees. That is our position of responsibility to: "KNOW OF THE EMPLOYEES WHO WISH TO GO BEYOND ANY ASSUMED GLASS CEILING! IT IS WRONG FOR THE ADVISORY STAFF TO MAKE PROMOTION AND WAGE AND SALARY INFORMATION DECISIONS A PART OF THE INTERVIEW.

You of course, must be prepared to discuss these issues with department or supervisory heads responsible for the announcement and subsequent increases in income. You should do the comparsions of the situations surrounding the vacant position and like positions within the company; followed with providing racial, gender, and wage/salary recommendations pertaining to your perceptions of all candidates that fit within the situation in order to promote "the most qualified person for the position"! But the HR never makes the final decision nor the promotion announcement.

You can be the witness to the decisions, as well as, the decisions to seperate from employment situations! You may take the pictures of the events but try never to become the center of operational events.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-21-03 AT 08:48AM (CST)[/font][p]I agree with Don. One should not release any such information until it is a done deal, i.e., HR and management have "all grounds covered".

Truly you are not in a big mess. I trust your management has decided to promote this person because of her excellent strengths and capabilities and your beliefs in her being able to perfom that job. So, her promotion is a decision based on individual merits and thus justifiable. Other employees should not be upset that they are not getting that promotion. You need not rescind her promotion and publish this position as "open".

What you need to do is to bring the lady in and talk to her about what you have heard. Perhaps, she may not be aware of what had been going....? Give her the benefit of doubt and have her explain what you have heard. One should always clarify to find out what's heard, and what's not heard.

I would have a word with her instead of doing anything drastic for now. Well, if you are the HR person, then you should have the dept's manager speak with her. I agree with Pork, we are facilitators.