Leave "Turn Down" Info on Voice Mail?

I always have this question and am interested in what other folks do. When you are turning down someone you've interviewed for a contract, would you leave that information on a voicemail if you don't reach them directly, or would you leave them a vague message asking them to call back?

I confess I dread these calls, so my leaning is to leave the detailed voicemail. But somehow that doesn't seem "right".

We've just interviewed executive search firms who submitted proposals, and have selected the one we want to go forward with. So now I get to make the "turn down" calls. I also recently reviewed bids for some construction work, and faced the same issue.

What is your approach?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would send a letter. You cover yourself because you will have a documented trail. If they call you you can tell them that you will be contacting them by mail. If you leave a voice mail and the wrong person hears and/or erases the message, you have no proof that it was sent or what you said in the message. I hope I was of some help.
  • In this job, as much as possible, do it in writing. This is to avoid "misunderstandings", "miscommunications" etc. But, most of important of all, it protects the letter sender.
  • I agree with sending a letter. However, if you want to save time and do it via telephone, just remember: These vendors are not going to take it personally, they're accustomed to rejection (or should be). If they take it personally and get upset, cry, scream, or run down the basement to jump out a window, they're obviously ill-suited to proposal-making.
  • I agree that the letter of rejection seems the way to go, but I am not happy with the one we currently have (it's an impersonal two-liner) Does anyone care to share their letters? If so, Please email me at [email]suzanne_cantey@tdk-m.com[/email]
    Thanks Much
    Suzanne
  • Rejections are never fun to hand out, but when I write a letter (if a personal phone call occurs, I follow up with a letter) I always use the philosophy: "Honesty is always the best policy."

So if you have a hard time writing it, stop and think: Why did we reject or turn down this person, or their proposal?

First, and foremost, thank them for their time. Applications and interviews are time-consuming for everyone involved. Let them know you appreciate the time they took to show interest in your company. Here is one example I use for applicants:

Thank you for taking the time to interview with our company for the position of xxx. It is always a difficult job to evaluate applicants in order to determine who will fit well in the xx field. (or who will fit well with our companies goals and philosophies.)
    While many of the applicants possessed some fine qualifications, we have offered the position to the person we felt would best meet our needs at this time. (or simply: at this time we have made an offer which has been accepted, and the position has been filled.)
    We appreciate your interest in employment with our company and will keep your application on file for a period of xx months. (or, if you don't want to leave the door open, just leave this out.)

Sometimes we haven't filled the position but choose not to hire someone. Then I say something like: We appreciate the time you have taken to interview with our company, but at this time we have made the difficult decision not to offer you a xx position with our company. Again, we appreciate the time you have taken, and we wish you much success with your search.

You can add a statement here and there to personalize it. Usually though, just get to the point, and be honest about the reason. (Although you want to be careful about getting yourself into trouble, more information is not always better. You can be vague and honest at the same time.)

• Thanks for the replies so far. I must say I'm surprised that almost everyone has proposed a solution I hadn't considered, letter vs. phone. I always feel like I owe folks a "live" response, whether it's to a potential consultant/contractor or a potential employee.

I like your idea of following up with a letter, however, for all the reasons stated.

• <<If they take it personally and get upset, cry, scream, or run down the basement to jump out a window, they're obviously ill-suited to proposal-making. >>

Not to mention unclear on the concept of self-inflicted damage, LOL.

But thanks for the words of wisdom on their ability to handle rejection. You're absolutely right.