First Break All The Rules - Management & Objectives

Are any forum participants using management technics from the book "First Break All The Rules"? If so, I would appreciate any input, comments or stories you have. We have been asked by our Executive Director, to use this book with its guidelines as our future management style...

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I use the study by Buckingham as an intro to a seminar I teach about the difference between management and leadership. Don't forget to remind your managers about the most astounding conclusion from that study, which was that an employee's productivity and retention is directly related to his/her relationship to his/her immediate supervisor. This means that managers are "on the hook" for their own employees' successes.

One of the places I disagree with Buckingham is about people being unable to perform in a weak area and not to bother hiring anyone who isn't playing to their strenghts. If the weakness is a lack of training or experience, I don't think that holds true. If it's a lack of ability, I do believe that's true.

Call me if you want to discuss further.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I attended a seminar (on the book) last year in Washington that was chaired by the author. I enjoyed the seminar and was struck by the similarity of his material to that of the gurus of the 1960's (Drucker comes to mind as does Apley, Jennigs and a plethora of others). I concluded that the more things change the more they remain the same.

We have used the book as a guide to establish our own version of the suggested management style. We combined Buckingham's work with that of B. D. Smart (Top Grading) to develop what we think is a great approach to overall management for our company.

Since we began our program (September 2002) our turnover has declined by over 50%, and our productivity has increased dramatically. At the end of the first quarter (2003) we have beat our budget soundly (and it was considered very agressive when we set the goals for 2003 last November).

There is no doubt (in my mind) that the ideas put forth by both Buckingham and Smart work....but then the same ideas worked in the 1960's when I was a young executive. I think the challenge for all businesses today is that many keep looking for a magic formula when all the ingredients are (and have always been) right in front of everyone. Most writers (business and industrial psychologist) who write today are simply dusting off the axioms and practices of the 1950's and 1960's and re-introducing them with a "twist" (and being paid handsomely to do so).

When all else fails, revert to common sense and best practices of the past. You cannot fail!

David Johns
    Value Florida
  • I agree that much is common sense. When we all first started working we were energetic and enthusiastic to do our best. Then the "system" and its controls changed us. As mentioned so many things have been tried over the years & then dumped because they don't work.

I have recently become aware of a program that can change the environment from the typical control-based to a freedom-based culture. In this environment people can and want to be accountable. There has been much research done and actually the group pulling many attempts at improving the workplace together into a process that works. Contact me off line & I will be happy to share more with you. (630-653-1933, [email]BresGroup@4u.net[/email])

Another book to check out is "Good to Great" by Jim Collins.

• Thanks for your responses. I've found the information quite useful.
  • I just ordered the book.

Do I actually have to read it, or will its power radiate as it sits on my desk? ;)

• Probably should give it a quick read! Actually I didn't find it to be that hard of a read, it only took my three (3) days to read it due to time constraints.