CMV License

Hi everyone,

I have a question that pertains to CMV License. I have a driver that claims his cmv drivers license is for interstate but on his driveing record it says no cmv operation in interstate commerce. Also, on his driving record it says express states: AL,AR,AZ,CT,DE and so on around 31 states it lists. What does that mean? Can he drive interstate?

Thank You for all your help

Cindy

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's kind of a confusing system because it has to do with Federal mandates administered by the individual States, but any Class A CDL (Commercial Driver's License) can drive interstate with the appropriate endorsements (Haz Mat, Tanker, etc) for the particular vehicle you want him/her to drive.
  • Thank you Crout. I called the DMV. What they told me is: To be able to drive interstate a driver must have a federal medical card. The drivers who would not have a federal medical card would be the ones who were grandfathered in prior to 1996. Those drivers will only be able to drive in your state but, the laws have changed. Now every person that holds a cmv license must have a federal medical card. The laws do get confusing at times.
  • A physical is required for employment as a driver, but not for obtaining a CDL. Crazy, no?