Another Employee Problem

I work for a small (120 ee) unionized, manufacturing co.. This company has had some financial struggles over the last several years and has done some significant RIF (before I came on board, however). Recently the president announced that there wouldn't be any pay increases at this time. Although there aren't any pay increases, upper management is very flexible about allowing ee's time off, flexible schedules, etc.

We have one employee, our Controller, who is very disgusted with the situation and doesn't hesitate to tell ANYONE about the situation. He makes comments about not being able to make payroll (not true) and not being able to pay vendors (also not true) as well very derogatory statements about the president and other members of upper management. These statements are made not only to other employees but to individuals outside of the company as well.

It's gotten to the point that I've had other employees in my office expressing their concerns for the future of the company and their jobs. I have expressed my concerns to the president but he tends to be a very forgiving, understanding person.

I'm looking for some advice on how to handle this situation so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hopefully your company has a progressive disciplinary process that includes unprofessional conduct as a cause for disciplinary action. If so, your CEO or whoever supervises this loose cannon needs to begin the process, pronto.

Second choice: Duct tape.
  • Your president will find himself unemployed if he allows the controller to continue to damage the Company's reputation. Do you have a code of ethics.? If you do , his behavior very likely violates it and is cause for termination. Even if you don't his behavior is cause for termination. If the president is Gumby's brother he might want to pull the controller in for a very stern last chance conversation. If he doesn't do that...keep your resume polished.
  • I agree that this individual will seriously undermine the president's authority. We had a similar sitaution in our company a few years ago when the CFO did not get the CEO job that he applied for. Instead of cooperating and being a part of the management team supporting the new CEO, he undermined the new CEO at every opportunity, both inside and outside the organization. He did not believe that the medical partners in our practce would "allow" him to be terminated. WRONG! The CEO had the authority to fire anyone he wished to and did not waste time in getting rid of this blight.

I would say to your president that it is well and good to be forgiving, but he had better watch the knife that is being twisted into his back. It will come back to haunt him.