Religous Accommodation?

Hi Everyone,

I work in Manufacturing which means we rarely close. We are open for business on Good Friday, but if employee wish, they make take the day off if they have enough vacation or personal time. But..that's not the problem.

I have two Manufacturing Techs that both want to take Good Friday off for religous reasons. By allowing them both to take off, it will leave us short handed on the manufacturing floor which means delays in our manufacturing schedule.

Are we required to accommodate them for their religious needs even though this would cause us a hardship on the manufacturing floor?

If we did allow one of the Manufacturing Techs to take the day off but not the other, would it be based on who asked first? What would you do if the EE scheduled to work called in sick for that day?

Your thoughts and opinions, please!

LFernandes

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Since honoring the request will impact business, you may not have to comply...but trying to decide who gets the day could be a nightmare! Are you in a flexible enough situation to extend a barter? Offer each a 1/2 day? Or some other company carrot that might mean more than the day off?

• An employer need make a "reasonable" accommodation, not an unreasonable one. I would venture to guess that if it creates a hardship on the business, you would be fine in only accommodating one employee (I could be wrong -- wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last). As far as which ee to accommodate, try using the same policy you use in awarding vacation dates... Seniority? First come first served? Whatever your procedure is. That way you can't be accused of being arbitrary in your decision. Good luck.
  • I agree with Parabeagle, follow a similar policy. You might offer the other employee the option of taking Easter Monday off. Good Luck.
  • Title VII requires employers to make reasonable accommodation for employees’ and applicants’ religious practices as long as that accommodation does not result in “undue hardship” for the organization. The meaning of “undue hardship” is murky. Neither Title VII nor the EEOC enforcement guidelines provide a specific definition for the term. If the absences of both ee's will cause say, someone to go into overtime to work their shift, then I believe the court would lean towards that being 'undue hardship' for your company. But, one of the posters above had a good suggestion in offering to have them both come in and work 1/2 day each, if that would help your situation.
  • I have a hunch that this is something that can be worked out with a little bit of conversation with the employees. Remember that accomodation doesn't just involve these two employees. Are there others that could fill in, for example. You could start by telling them the bind that this puts you in and what do they suggest that would help them with their needs but still get the job done.
  • Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your input. We are granting EE#1 the day off since he asked first and scheduling EE#2 to work. The manager is also going to speak to them about working a 1/2 day each, that way they both can have time off on Good Friday. (I'm making sure everything is documented, of course!)

LFernandes
  • For sake of argument, I would offer each 1/2 day off. This way you can avoid other problems that may arise. If they can't work out who gets what part of the day off, then make them both work!