Light duty there for some and not for others???

I have EEs Abe, Bob and Charlie. Abe and Bob have doctor's notifications requesting light duty. Charlie's physical capabilities have deteriorated to the point where he is no longer able to perform the functions of his job, but so far is having difficulties getting a doctor to concur.

I have no light duty available for Abe and Charlie, but Bob's supervisor tells me he has paper work Bob can do that will free up his other employee's time. This will benefit two-fold: The other employee's will be able to get out in the field more and in the office less, and their extra time in the field will cover Bob's hours while he is on light duty. The supervisor is looking at dual rating Bob for less money to do the office work.

Am I going to get in trouble here?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Does Bob have a particular set of skills not possessed by Abe or Charlie that qualifies him to do the paperwork over the others? That would be my first question. As far as double-rating him, we can do that in Oregon but I'd check with your work comp carrier to be sure.
  • Make sure that you determine exactly what you want you light duty policy to be because you are setting a precedent. It is okay to only offer it if there is work available in that employee's department. You need to be clear with the employee that this "light duty" is only temporary and is not a permanent job. You also need to be clear about when it will expire (for example, the sooner of when the work runs out or 90 days).

Good Luck
  • He's not work comp - hurt himself at home.

And yes, Bob is a mechanic with his own paperwork to handle. His light duty would be to do all the other mechanics' paperwork.

The other two gentlemen aren't mechanics and would not be at all familiar with the process.