SARS - HELP

Mgt had hired a former employee who had returned to Singapore to return to work in the USA. He arrived in this country Sunday and reported to work today. He was seen on the premises, and Personnel has had calls re has he been tested for SARS. What do you folks think -- can we request he be tested? Can he be tested, according to the internet there is an incubation period of about 7 to 10 days. Should we send him home in test him in a week? HELP!!!!!!!!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unless modern medicine has developed a way to test for respiratory viruses that haven't presented symptoms, I don't think you can test for "getting" a pneumonia virus. Symptoms are flu/pneumonia like in nature, so has the guy acted sick, or been aroud anyone who has been sick? just ask him.

I'd check with your local health department or call the CDC for more information. From what I understand it's got to be very close face to face contact to contract SARS, we have 3 cases here in Northern Virginia - but the health department should be able to help.

I certainly can sympathize with your concern, being that it's shown up in our area as well - but reinforce to your ee's that noone has died in the US from the disease - and while it's all over the news, the percentage of people with the virus is very very small. 1600 worldwide out of 6 billion people? that's too many zeros behind the decimal for me to worry too much.

Tammy
  • Here is the cooment of Paul Prather, executive editor of our Health Care Employment Law Letter:

1) Request that the employee voluntarily agree to be tested
    before coming to work; 2) if the employee refuses, suspend him or her for
    the reasonable incubation period.

This is the best conservative advice and puts workplace safety interests above individual interests.

I hope this helps, and isn't too late!

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • For the case in question, I talked to our Industrial Medicine Clinic and based on that conversation -- I had him wait to report for work until 10 days had passed.

But your response is not too late, because we will keep it handy for any future cases that come up. (What I learned is that anyone who might have had exposure, is POSITIVE they are clean and that there is no possibility they were infected. Also learned that everyone else in the workplace he was to report felt POSITIVE he probably was infected. Oh well.

Thanks for sharing the information.
  • Question Anne,
    We are doing all of this based on assumptions. First off what would you do if there is not a test? Or if there is a test and it takes 4 days to get the results back? Are you willing to pay for this person to sit home based on irrational fears? Just curious.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • There is no fast test. But in this case, we were willing to pay a highly compensated individual to stay home because: a. he had been living in Singapore b. It was on the list of "do not travel" to locations c. He had flown in and passed through cities that had reported cases. Not your average joe situation. We preferred to take the monetary hit rather than put at risk the other personnel in his lab unit.
  • Sounds like you handled it well. Either I missed it or you did not say that you were paying him.
    Have a good one, hope he is cool with it all.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Sorry -- I did not say. However, thanks to you and everyone who commented. It is so great to have a way to communicate with other HR people and discuss pros and cons and even "what ifs".