job descriptions

I have a manager who thinks we should have everyone who interviews sign something that says they read the current job description and can perform all the duties. Do any of you do this? Do you see why it would be necessary?

thanks...

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't do that. But, our job descriptions are very generic and it probably wouldn't make much difference. There is one set of job descriptions controlled by corporate that is used by two different facilities.

If you use more detailed descriptions, it sounds like it could be a good idea.
  • I give jd's to everyone who interviews for their own information (no signing necessary). If they are hired we give them another copy--just to be safe. I suppose you could give newly hired employees copies of their jd and have them sign a receipt and then put it, as well as a copy of the jd, in their personnel file. It wouldn't hurt.
    Cinderella
  • I agree with Cinderella. We have each new EE sign a copy of the job description to be placed in their file. That way they can't come back and say you didn't tell me I was going to have to do that! Makes my job easier when I can pull out the signed document and say "Here it is, you signed it.
  • I also have all new hires read and sign a copy of their job description. There is also a disclaimer at the bottom that says they have read and understood the job description and understand that it does not include all job duties that may be assigned. That way they can't say "it wasn't in my job description" :-)

Valentine
  • We have several functions that challenge the physical condition of the employee. We are very aware of the 'accommodation' laws. We attach an essential duties list to the application and ask if they can perform them with or without accommodation. If accommodation is needed what will it be? Some may say this is not the point but it does serve as notice of the requirments of the job description since the essential duties are from that form. We also include a "other duties as deemed neccesary" statement to the job description.
  • The primary reason for having someone read and sign a job description when interviewed is for them to agree that they can physically perform the essential functions of the job without a reasonable accomodation or if an accomodation is needed, they need to write down what it would be.