Best way to motivate?

I have been mulling this over in my mind and wanted to see what you all thought.

Ok, here goes:

Discipline - should be consistent and almost always private.

Reward - should be inconsistent and sometimes public, sometimes private.

Ok, here is my reasoning. One of the most POWERFUL motivators is "random gratification". That is when you never know when you will get the big reward. Some of the most addictive sports are based on this theory (golf, fishing, surfing). Your efforts are not consistently rewarded causing you to work even harder for that elusive moment of gratification.

Consistent reward becomes expected reward. Expected reward loses its impact and becomes an entitlement.

Reward that is public is great. But I also see some value in private, discrete reward that says "good job" and also makes it clear that not all rewards get publicly touted.

Thoughts?

Paul

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I agree some rewards should be private.

Our company periodically sends employees on "road trips" for service calls or technical support (such as monitoring elections using our electronic voting machines in various places like Florida - but that is another story).

We sent 6 employees to an election in Florida last September and the director wanted to reward them for their efforts with a spot bonus. I agreed, but said to keep it private. My reasoning was these people were hand-picked, well-fed, and entertained on this trip. Other employees could have been upset thinking they had a wonderful Florida vacation on the company dime and were rewarded on top of it. It wasn't really a wonderful vacation. So, they received their bonuses and a private thankyou from their managers.

• Some employees absolutely HATE to be pubically rewarded, some think a reward isn't worth anything unless it is infront of a big group of people. I guess one just has to learn about each of their employees, what motivates that particular person--I think that is one the manager's biggest jobs. Also, on the same token, not every employee thinks of money (or other tangible rewards) as a reward at all. Some value schedule flexibility, time off, telecommuting, or even just a pat on the back far more than $$$$.

Of course, for me, I value the green stuff. Hehehehe.

Cinderella
  • We are tax funded and therefore can't hand out the cash but we do try to recognize staff in other ways. When a new employee comes in for orientation I explain that we have a Rewards and Recognition program in place, give them a 'survey' that lists options in different categories like, 'Job related opportunities', 'Personal activities' (time off, leave early, long lunch), 'Written recognition', 'Public recognition', 'Rewards and prizes'and 'Rewards for a group'. An employee may nominate any other employee and make a recommendation to the R/R committee. If the committee decides that recognition or reward is in order, the survey is pulled and a determination made from the employee's own preferences as to the nature of the reward or recognition. Cinderella is dead-on right - I have employees who would simply fall to pieces if they were publicly recognized.

Anne in Ohio
  • One of the questions relevant to this topic is whether motivation comes from within the person or whether from outside influence. I tend to think that motivation comes from within most of the time. Some people may respond to outside influence but I don't think that outside "motivation" will create change if the person does not wish to do so.
  • We had a breakfast meeting this morning with a group of manufacturing employees, their manager and director. An interesting complaint came out. They were saying that people do get upset when others are publicly thanked or rewarded. Those who are not thanked or rewarded see it as a slap in the face, they believe they work just as hard or even harder so why were they not rewarded. Part of the problem, is low performers do not see themselves as low performers. Their perception is they are just as good as everyone else and deserve the same - same pay, same bonuses, same thanks.

We were bought out 5 years ago. The old company did not give bonuses, pay increases were very subjective (no pay scale, no job titles), no car small rewards. Our new company has an employee of the month program, we give out car wash tickets, we give away nice clothing from the company store, gift certificates to the local mall, etc. Sometimes it seems the more we do, the "some" people complain. But, fortunately there are many employees who are very appreciative of what we do - that makes it all worthwhile.
  • Thanks for the comments.

Does anyone agree that INCONSISTENT motivation and reward may be superior to conistent and expected reward? Is anyone actually putting that into practice?

Sometimes I see the downside of reward and motivation programs is that you get to the point where you are basically rewarding someone for simply doing their job.

A random or inconsistent reward program would possibly address that. I am not saying that you don't say "thanks" to employees who work hard. I am just saying maybe you don't have an established program of rewards but rather look for special moments to celebrate achievement.

Paul
  • While I agree with you Paul, I must also say that the best motivator I ever saw was named, appropriately enough, the "Motivation Ditch" at a place called Parris Island in South Carolina. Sad to say, but the Motivation Ditch was filled in around 1976 or so. It was a program of motivation that used a rather foul smelling ditch ringed with barbed wire as part of the program. If there is a likely ditch at your place of employment, perhaps you could inaugurate the Motivation Ditch into your corporate culture. Give it some thought.
  • I like the concept Paul and yes I agree with you. But as we have often discussed here, I think some of it may depend on the culture of your organization and as noted above, on individuals needs/wants( ie some like public recognition, some want money vs. time off etc.)If you go with this, be prepared that some may not like it. On another note, re: discipline "almost always private" when might the time be when it would not be private? Just curious.
  • MOTIVATION: I have always gone with the Maslow theory on motivation; in order to motivate we humans we must first identify the "unsatisfied needs". Given your ability to identify those unsatisfied needs, you simply provide the object that will satisfy those needs and you make it available to the human being and you'll get MOTIVATION MOVEMENT AND BEHAVIORAL CHANGE CONNECTED WITH THE NEEDS SATISFACTION. Given your team in Florida realized satisfaction for going to Florida on the companies' dime, the bonus reward was PROBABLY NOT NECESSARY, a waste; however, studying the entire picture your company, most likely, provided the BOSS / TEAM LEADER with intentional recognition by his team of the power and authority of the leader. GIVEN QUIETLY the team's work and achievements does not set and new goal or challange for the benefit of the company for future working trips. Given loudly, new goals and achievements for all teams travelling for the company can be realized. Think your rewards for going somewhere for the company should be left for individual surprises with no other expectation or challanges tied to the activity. Money reward is never a long term motivator, and it is never enough.

A true given "thank you, and it was a pleasure to have this special time with you, and the next trip I have "I will be seeking you out to help us achieve the objectives of the mission, your talents and skills made the trip worth while". By the way, "I have asked the company to recognize your efforts on our behalf". Let me know when they give you that Pink HUMMV"!

As an HR, wrap your arms around the ability to say "thank You" and push the ability to throw money at the project to the side! PORK
  • Paul you are correct that anything that happens to regularly can become expected, and the entitlement mentality takes over.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Crout: I am not sure about the "motivation ditch" idea or how you could implement it. But thanks... I think.

Sonny: Sometimes when an incident is highly public, I believe its necessary to make some public acknowledgment that something was done to address it. I am not saying get into specifics or violate privacy.

Example: Say an employee lost their temper and very publicly cussed out the supervisor. Say it was the hot water cooler topic for several days. Its my opinion that instead of leaving employees in the dark, some type of tactful acknowledgement of the incident and the fact that it is being dealt with (not specific) is appropriate.

Paul
  • Got it, thanks for the clarification.