Due a promotion???

This question is for myself, I am not sure who to go to and I am in HR. I was "temporarily" assigned for a six month special assignment 16 months ago. At the time, because I would be performing the same duties as others in a higher career level, a temporary promotion was mentioned several times. After a few months I found out that I would be performing this function until further notice, the six month end date was pushed out and they were "visiting" the temporary promotion issue (I guess no one has been home!). At one point my boss' boss said he felt really bad about my career level situation but they simply did not have the headcount to promote me, and I continue to perform the same job function as five other people of a higher level, with considerably more success. At first I was upset about it but the job market being what it is, I felt grateful to have a job and simply accepted the inequity. Now they are talking about hiring more people, it seems they have been granted additional headcount. I do not whether these new folks will be the same career level as I am or of the higher level as the other five. If they are hired into the higher career level, what recourse do I have for the past 16 months? Any ideas?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would revisit the "boss's boss" on the issue, now that it appears they will be bringing on more people. And I would 'tactfully' remind him of your conversation, but I wouldn't force the issue. It's completely up to the company heads to decide who gets a promotion and when.
  • RAD 1: You are in that oh so favoriate situation that I have seen and refused to admit. Your company is lead by leaders who are not respectfull of the HR abilities to help them get to the "bottom line". He/they/she/it will treat you as a "good ole boy who is a nice guy, but we don't see him/her at the next level"! I suggest you start setting your goals and objectives about a career and get off you "butt" and make it happen, you will not make it there, otherwise, you would have long been recognized at the next level and seeking the next level above that. Now, when jobs are tight is the time for HRs who have a job, but need to get an upward mobility step in their career path established, should be actively pursuing a more worthy opportunity. Your "butt" is for some reason stuck to that chair, and for 16 months. Welcome to the true world of HRs in the upper echelons! [When advertising stops within a company, look out the HR will be trimmed of its FAT!] GOOD LUCK PORK