I-9's

Are contract employees required to complete an I-9 form?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm going to take a stab at this question. I believe that you only have to have an I-9 filled out if they are going on your payroll. So, if your contract employee is being put on your payroll then yes, have them fill out an I-9.

• linda: The back of the form may tell you but using common sense would tell me to get an I-9 done on any contract person that is going to be "hibituaL day labor". OTHERWISE I WOULD NOT BOTHER; however, you still have got to have a social security number and a mailing address in order to send them a D-99. Therefore, go the extra step to protect the company from the use of illegal immagrants, as contract labor. There will be those supervisors and managers, that will jump at the opportunity to use day labor instead of hiring a full time employee for daily needs of the company.
  • Linda, our company has everyone who will be performing any type of work with the company complete an I-9 and provide a copy of their driver's license and SS card. The SS card does not have to be copied, but you or someone who will sign the I-9 must verify that you have actually seen it. However, our agency is a home health agency and we are subject to be reviewed by Medicare/Medicaid and JCAHO. They always ask to see the I-9 and supporting documentation. So, err on the side of caution. If you have a file on a contract person, get the I-9 completed.
  • Hi, Linda - I agree, err on the side of caution! You should have an I-9 on all employees. Even if it turns out this is not absolutely necessary, better safe than sorry.