Dogs in the workplace

I work for a manfacturing facility (a wireform manufacturer) and have just encountered a problem I could never have imagined. This is what I was told this morning...

We have an employee on 3rd shift who is by no means a stellar employee. A couple of weeks ago he brought a puppy into the plant and kept him in a box near his workstation during the shift. We do not have a production supervisor on this shift (it is a temporary thing) and the acting supervisor does not have the authority to discipline the employee. When one of the 1st shift supervisors was made aware of the situation she informed the employee that this was not allowed (we do not have a written policy regarding this issue) and that he could not do it again.

Well, last night he brought the puppy in again. This time the puppy was not in a box but followed behind him as he walked through the plant. When the 2nd shift supervisor (this is the same supv. that spoke with him the 1st time) reminded him that he could not bring the dog in, he informed her that his girlfriend was going to be taking him home when she got off work (she works a different shift). When he was told the dog could not stay in the plant, the employee took the puppy to his car to await being taken home (it was about 30 degrees last night).

Although we have a progressive discipline policy in place, I think we should bypass the first step and go straight to the 2nd which is a formal written warning. Does anyone think this is too harsh? Do you think I need to put together a written policy regarding this issue?

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I wouldn't try to bounce to step two on this one. But, I would definitely start the written progressive discipline. He was warned once and ignored that. The first warning could have been written up, but was not actually a policy violation. Considering that he had no knowledge of the company's position on this issue, and was then told what the company's position is, he went on and violated it a second time. Calls for discipline. Don't worry about the amount of authority the stand in supv had or didn't have. Fact is, he was told. I don't think we should have to write a policy barring dogs, exposed nipples, parrots and pizza delivery drivers from the plant area........But, with our union, it gets almost that insane often.
  • Agree with DonD. Start the disciplinary process and document. May consider reminding the employee of the safety issue of having a loose dog in the plant. Wish you well...
  • You will find in time that you cannot possibly have a policy in place for everything that might happen. Something will always turn up that is unexpected.
    I would start the disciplinary procedures. He ignored an order from supervisor (insubordination). He created an unsafe situation (common sense says that a pet cannot be allowed on a factory floor).
  • Absolutely agree with Whatever - you can't write a policy for everything. I find 99 percone of the time if you look at the basics of a situation you will find you can draw on a policy already in place.

• My FORMER dentist used to have her dog in the office .............. notice I said FORMER......
  • I think I've already shared with you guys that one of our doctors had his dog in the office and he ran all over the place. We almost had to put the doctor in a strait jacket to get him to keep the dog home. I actually had to go to his office and tell him he had to leave the dog home. Unfortunately, the dog was also looking at me with his soulful eyes while I was telling the doctor this. I would rather have made the doctor stay at home and deal with the dog.
  • I wish I could bring my dog to work. He's rather protective, so he would come in handy when my boss appears threatening!
  • Speaking of dogs - the owner of our Corporate parent company brings his two labrador retrievers to work on a regular basis. Guess what? No one ever complains.
  • One of our stores had a regular customer bring his new dog in the store to show the cashiers. While he was holding the dog, another customer was remarking about what a great-looking dog it was and reached out to pet it. The dog barked - didn't snap, or bite, just barked - and the startled a third customer, who ended up twisting his knee. We paid for ACL surgery - even though customer #3 was already wearing a heavy-duty knee brace for prior injuries.

If you want to take your dog into a store, or to work, make sure it's at Petsmart.
  • Just wanted to update you on what decision we made regarding our new "mascot"...

In speaking with upper management, the decision was made to skip the first step in our disciplinary policy (this would have been a documented oral warning) and go to a formal written warning. We came to this decision because he was clearly told, by a supervisor, that he was not to bring the dog into the plant again and did it anyway. We view this as a significant form of insubordination.

Later yesterday we also found out that this employee ran alot of "bad" parts and should have been checking his work but was not. He received a separate oral warning with written documentation.

I'm sure we will see a grievance from our union regarding the written warning but will deal with that as it comes.

The fun just never ends!!!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-28-03 AT 07:50AM (CST)[/font][p]Since we've gone humorous with this, I'll tell you about Mr. Webster. He's one of the wealthiest people in the area where I live. My son has worked summers for him for about 5 years, maintaining the 38 acre residence grounds and waxing all his antique cars and feeding his herd of Weimaraners in their air-conditioned quarters. These are those tall,lanky German short haired blue/gray/brown animals with steel blue eyes. He has an actual graveyard out in back that looks just like any cemetery with headstones and all of their previous pure bred animals are there. Anyway, Mr. Webster is President and CEO of a large highway construction/bridge building company. He recently built The Webster Building, a new 3 story brick building in the middle of town, where he said 'I just wanted an office there'. He's about 68 yrs old and every day he climbs up into his brand new Excursion or Hummer and heads to his office with his sparkling clean male hound, Stormy, right in the passenger seat beside him and they head off in that huge vehicle with the antennas and white GPS dome on the roof. Nobody sits in the dog's seat, EVER, except Stormy, not even Mrs. Webster who gives a new definition to 'taking a back seat'. Stormy goes into the building with Mr. Webster, rides the elevator and curls up in the office right at his feet all day long except for when the secretary takes him out for his daily business. I saw Mr. Webster at an antique car show Saturday and noticed the bumper sticker on his Rolls. It reads, "It's hard to be humble when you own Weimaraners". And I'm willing to bet an applicant for one of the senior positions at the company has never said something like, "Why don't you get that damned dog out of here?"
  • When I was in college...........yes I can still remember that far back I had a great dog, a basset hound. When I had to go to school for things other than class I would take the dog. My academic advisor loved bassets, so I almost had to the dog with me whenever I went to see her. Funny thing I went all through that campus, admin. building etc., no one ever said a word to me. (That always surprised me, not that I cared..lol)
    Of course if someone wanted to bring a dog into work now I would be pretty quick to say sorry. Work is typically not the place for pets.
    Anyway my $0.02 today on the dogs.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Don, I've had Weimaraners for 29 years, and once had a "herd" of nine (a mom and eight pups). I can totally picture Stormy! He's regal and self-possessed on his car rides, and has a facial expression that seems to ask, "What're YOU lookin' at??"

The bumper sticker is correct in some ways and in others it should be the exact opposite: It's hard to be anything BUT humble because every day with a Weim is a battle of wills and wits, and they win as often as not. Kinda like HR - there's never a dull moment!

Do you know if Mr. Webster breeds and/or shows them? If he has a kennel name (mine was Whirlwind), I'd love to look up his dogs.
  • My .02 is that you if you don't have a policy in place yet, it needs to be there. We are a very casual environment that is dedicated to the "sports" industry and we have had to put a "no pets" policy in place. It's disruptive and can be unsanitary, not to mention scary for people who are afraid of certain animals...and besides, who's going to clean up after them if the ee doesn't?

Here's our policy...short and sweet:

Pets in the Workplace.

"In order to maintain a clean, comfortable and professional environment and to assure that employees and guests of "company" feel safe and secure at all times, pets are not permitted in the workplace at any time".

As for writing up your ee on the second offense, the day immediately following the first offense, does your discipline policy allow you to bypass any of the "progressive discipline" and go right to a more severe discipline? If it does, then that is what I would do. If your policy doesn't allow for that, you may want to add it in.

Here's a suggestion:

"Normal steps in the disciplinary process are outlined below. However, based on the seriousness of the offense, and the employee's past work record, management may enter into any level of disciplinary action, from verbal correction up to and including termination".

Good luck.
  • We also have a policy in place for "Children In the Workplace" for many of the same reasons cited above.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-28-03 AT 02:58PM (CST)[/font][p]Rockie,

Does your policy include "perceived" children or just actual children?

For example, could you say to an employee, "You appear to be acting like a child and we have a clear policy on that!"

Paul
  • Hey! I didn't think about that! Might be a good way to "terminate for cause" due to violation of a policy.

• I agree with the comments about disciplinary action - from the beginning step. It wouldn't work for this particular issue around here though. One of our colleges is a College of Veterinary Medicine and we see dogs in the workplace all the time.
  • I guess I have worked in rather relaxed environments, as we have had dogs in the workplace in almost every office I've been in, including my current one. The difference I suppose is that the animals have always been well behaved, had attentive owners and we have been in environments where there is little interaction with the general public. Our policies have reflected the belief that well behaved animals in low exposure environments have been beneficial to the mental health of our employees, but if I ever heard one complaint, the animal would have to go.

I have seen some discrimination against cats in the workplace, but that may be the attitudes of the cats that need changing. x}>

ladyzuesse the cat owner
    aka
    Tammy Colson
  • This thread is a great example of the value of this forum. In our workplace environment, a pet would be out of place. But obviously, there are others who have integrated pets into the workplace with good results.

My mind is opened!

Paul