Employee Degrees

We have an employee who has completed the course work for their bachelor's degree but will not receive the actual degree until May of 2003. What do we ask for as proof that they will receive the degree? And, since the receipt of this degree will make them eligible for a pay increase, do we wait until May or give them the pay increase based on certain documentation provided to us now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's my thinking that the final transcript, available now, will state "Degree Conferred" and have a date for that, or will state, "Meets the requirements for the degree of....." If not, ask for a letter from the school if you really need that for some business purpose. I think I would stick with a policy of waiting until degrees are received, and proved to you, before giving raises based upon them. It's always possible that you'll kick in a raise and then be told only one more little thing needs to be done before the degree is conferred.....then just one more little thing.
  • Thanks for your response. I am new to HR and needed confirmation of what I thought was the right course to follow.
  • We do it exactly the way Don D described. It works well. Sometimes, staff complain they should get it retroactively to their graduation date when they do not provide proof for several months. We say it is effective after graduation and upon presentation of proper documentation.