Expressions of Congratulations & Sympathy

Does anyone have a written company policy on the above? It seems we are sending flowers to someone every week for something and it's been getting expensive! It was suggested we put a policy in place. If you have one and would like to share it please do! Thanks folks!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have an unwritten policy of sending sympathy flowers for the death of a family member that rates 3 days of bereavement leave (immediate family) or congratulations gift packages to any staff member who becomes a parent.(average 50 employees on a good month, so this doesn't happen very often) Everyone else for every other occasion gets a sincere card in the appropriate sentiment signed by management and office staff and a generic "production employees" type phrase. Our costs average $800 per year.

Tammy

• The agency only sends flowers (or a plant) for funerals/visitations of direct family members (spouse, child, sibling, parent). Some areas have "sunshine funds" consisting of donations from employees, but the director or supervisor determines who receives what (ie: flowers, card, gift, etc.)

This seems to work well for us.
  • No written policy, but we send flowers to the funeral home for the deaths of employee's family members. We also send flowers to employees (only) who are hospitalized.

Not sure of annual costs - I'll have to check with our finance department. You've got my curiosity piqued.
  • Who do you consider a "member of the employee's family"? Does that include aunts, uncles, in-laws on both sides, cousins, nieces, nephews, grandchildren etc.? I'm wondering where to draw the line.
  • No written policy here either but we send flowers and a card when there is a death in the family for immediate family members only which include: spouse, spouse's mother or father, or employees father, mother, child, brother or sister. We also send cards to employees who are in the hospital for more than 3 days and we give a baby gift for new babies.
  • We have an unwritten policy also. We always send flowers for the funeral of immediate family members, an employee who is hospitalized, an employees spouse, or child if they are hospitalized for surgery or a serious matter.

We also will send flowers to any of our major customers that are having surgery or someone in their immediate family's funeral. This is on the authorization of the President, CEO, or CFO of the company only.

• Where I am working now gives flowers more than any other business I have worked for. It is an unwritten policy, but basically we send them for deaths of immediate family (spouse, child, parent,), hospital stays, and babies. We also send cards for deaths in the family of any kind. We have 65 employees and 11 board of directors..And I might add we are paying about 50 bucks a pop for these bouquets, so we are probably spending quite a bit of money, but that is how management likes it..
  • E Wart
    Where I used to work we sent flowers each time someone sneezed. It was very expensive and I don't think the employee (in some cases) cared one way or another. So, we changed it. We sent flowers (or donation) each time an employee (only) was hospitalized, and for the death of employee, spouse and/or child. All others (parents, grandparents, cousins, etc) we would send cards. Thsi cut down our costs drastically and most importantly, it was handled consistently. (I did it as soon as I was informed.)
    Where I am now , we do not have a policy. Obviously flowers are sent in the sitution of an employees death. Often times, they will be sent to ill employee (whether in hospital or not), but not alway and not consistently. Also, I think there is often a burden placed on employees when a well meaning employee passes the hat. Sometimes employees don't have the money to give or really don't want to for whatever reason and feel pressured to do so. I wish we could get this under control.

• We have a written policy for our "Employee Activity and Flower Fund." We offer new employees the opportunity to contribute 50 cents a pay period (twice a month) by payroll deduction. The guidelines limit sending flowers to the employee or spouse who is confined to the hospital for an overnight stay, either for illness or childbirth. Flowers are sent to employees who miss at least five scheduled days of work due to illness or injury.

They are sent in the event of death of an employee, or immediate family member, defined as spouse, child, stepchildren, parents or stepparents. We get complaints about not sending them to someone's brother or sister, but having the written policy stops that.

I also have the right to use discretion in other circumstances, and to do something other than flowers. I often send the money we would spend instead of flowers if I know the person is in real financial need.

Departments often sign cards and such too. We use the money for other activities such as our annual picnic also, since we are a non-profit and the budget doesn't allow for much frivolity.