Malicious Rumors

I'm new to the H/R field. I have an employee that either started or is spreading a malicious rumor about the fidelity of one of our female supervisors. She is terribly upset but feels if I take action it will only make things worse. What can/should I do? No, the rumor is not true.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you do nothing, that could spell trouble down the road (sexual harassment). You need to document anything you do. I would address the rumor issue with all employees, with a memo addressing rumors in general. I would set up a policy addressing this issue and include diciplinary action for anyone violating the policy. This could be considered hostile environment as well. Check with your corporate attorney as well.
  • My first thought and question is, Why has not the female supervisor about whom the UNtrue rumor is being spread asked the employee for an explanation? I recommend she do that and report to you what the results were. Then you may have a better indicator of how or whether you should proceed. Otherwise, you are in a she said - you said situation that's an impossible circle. If the shy female supervisor can give you names and departments of people who told her that the rumor was passed by the suspected perpetrator, after you interview those, you might have something to proceed with. I think those are your only two options. Please don't put out some shotgun memo though about rumors in the workplace. I might also weigh the significance of the rumor. Is the rumor a serious accusation that she's sleeping with someone or has someone said something as harmless as, "She'd jump his bones in a minute, I'll bet." But, I'll of course defer to the women on the Forum to provide better approaches.
  • Hello and welcome to the forum. In this case, did the employee come to you with the complaints that this other employee was starting rumors? If so, I would say that just like with other types of harrassment, you need to take action, even if the employee is not wanting you to. If you don't and later on down the road the employee was to use this in conjunction with other things as a sign of the company knowing she was being harrassed and doing nothing, it could be bad if the comments fall into an illegal category of harrassment. Although, it appears from the general information you have given so far that it is not illegal, I am not sure the content of the comments, so I can't help you there. Do the comments slander the employee in regards to race, gender, ethnic, religion, etc? Have you heard this rumor first hand, or just through second-hand knowledge? I would say that the answers to these two questions would help me and maybe others give you the most helpful advice.
  • I will attempt to reply to your questions. I too am new to HR, but I think that it is best to stay back from this situation unless the supervisor wishes to submit something in writing to you about the incident. Are you worried about legal issues? Morale issues? If you feel you must do something you could always address your entire staff with a refresher course on harrasment and your policies on a productive work enviornment.

Respectfully,
    April
  • For what its worth, now that the situation has been called to your attention you must take action. If you don't take some sort of action, then something worse happens, your liability goes off the scale!!! Consider bringing just the two parties involved together, flush out the situation, remind both parties of the company policies and document, document, document. Wish you well with your situation.
  • All of you have given me some important questions and direction. I appreciate it greatly.