insubordination

At what point does insubordination become violence in the workplace? Does someone have to be physical? Can a supervisor simply feel threatened by the ee through body language or does the ee have to specifically say something threatening? Is there a legal "in writing" thing about this subject?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our P&P defines insubordination as a major violation: "Willful disobedience of reasonable and legitimate instructions issued by a superior, including, but not limited to, intentional or negligent failure to perform assigned work, or correct job performance as outlined in a counseling or disciplinary action or walking off the job."

Later on there are these other major violations:

"15. Actively creating, encouraging, or participating in disorders, violence, or any other activity which would disrupt and/or interfere with the conduct of business by the organization or the performance of work duties by employees.

16. Fighting or participating in physical or verbal confrontations with another individual, patron, or employee, on property. This includes physical abuse of another, or participation in a fight where physical contact is made. If investigation concludes there was an opportunity to walk away, those involved in the same altercation will receive the same penalty.

17. Any activity which results in injury to self, another, or damage to company property.

18. Creating discord or lack of harmony including, but not limited to, gossip, rumor and innuendo.

19. Use of profane, abusive, threatening, intimidating, coercing language and gestures, or interfering with fellow employees in the performance of their duties on premises, whether through verbal or physical means. This includes references to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability requiring reasonable accommodation, or veteran status."

Covers quite the gamut...

• Insubordination and violence are two different things. If you look at Leslie's post, you'll see insubordination as disobedience (it does not have to be violent) against a superior. Violence (as a violation) can be directed at any employee and/or property.
  • Basically,ee didn;t like an e-mail that the super sent and she went storming into the super's office quite confrontational. She did not physically touch her just used aggressive body language like standing up over the super who was seated, leaning into her , lots of shputing things like that.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-17-03 AT 04:07PM (CST)[/font][p]Don't get "hung up" on the technical issue of whether this constitutes insubordination or not. In my view it is a form of insubordination -- disrespect toward a supervisor -- but that isn't important.

Just describe the behavior and say why it's unacceptable. The behavior will speak for itself.

For example:

"On Tuesday, .... 2003 you acted disrespectfully and inappropriately toward your supervisor. At about :00 a.m., you, unannounced, 'stormed' into her office, approached the supervisor who was sitted at her desk. You stood in front of her desk, then leaned forward, resting one hand on her desk. You then stuck a finger from your other hand in front of her face about two inches away, waving it about, as you angrily yelled at her '....'

This is disrespectful and inapprorpatie conduct because it demeaned your sueprvisor, and created and an unacceptable work environment."

Well, that may not be the best wording...but hopefully, you get the ideas.

Of course, get the employee's side of the "story".

Assuming the incident is the way you describe it and there are no unusual circumstances to warrant excuplation, I wouldn't necessarily discharge, but I would give an intermediate measure of discipline. If there are other considerations though, such as this is the 14th time the emplyee has done something like this, then a stronger measure should be invoked. On the other hand, if the employee has a good record, recognizes twhat she did was wrong, apologizes, and re-assures management it won't happen again, you may want to reduce the disciplinary response to a lower level and let that good reduce and acknowledgement and promise have some bearing on the degree of discipline.
  • Depending on how your policy is written you may have a couple items. Take ours, you'd have them for insubordination, creating discord and lack of harmony, plus threatening or intimidating actions.

However, take it easy. I have one manager who loves to throw as many violations on one infraction as she can. If I'm not careful, she'll throw one in there that is really a stretch and the next thing you know the whole situation is in question.

Short, sweet and to the point I always say.
  • Thanks to everyone. After talking with witnesses I have found that there is a pattern forming here that needs to be nipped in the bud. Thanks for the help.