Background check supervisor interview

One of our former employees has applied for work with a local police dept. They sent over her signed release authorizing us to provide information to her prospective employer, releasing us from liability, etc. The officer doing the background check, though, wants to interview the former employee's supervisor in person. Does anyone allow such interviews?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We DO NOT. All background information must come directly from Human Resources and we give the neutral employment reference information; dates of employment and job title, unless it's credit-related in which case we give the income information required based on signed release. People employed by or representing such interests as the Federal Government and local police departments, etc. are trained in the non-art of asking totally subjective questions requiring totally subjective answers. And that certainly includes the FBI, Federal Civil Service and Justice as well as the locals. It is not in the best interest of the past employer to get into that jousting match. Beware when they tell you 'it's strictly off the record'. There is no such thing. The questions quickly turn from dates of employment to such things as: To your knowledge, was she a social drinker? Did she seem to get along well? As far as you know, was there fidelity in his marriage? Do you recall any creditors calling? Do you know whether or not he carries a weapon? What is your opinion as to his politics? Did she ever give you the feeling that she was not entirely honest on each and every occasion? Did you ever suspect her of falsifying a business expense report, even fudging a bit? What about her involvement in community activities? Would you rehire him or recommend that we hire him? The HR department that let's these sorts of interviews go forward better have an ample supply of asbestos britches, with or without the applicant's signature.
  • Don: Where do you suppose us incompetent 'locals' are going to get good information in order to employ qualified, quality individuals as police officers if all former employers are going to clam up and give us just name, rank, and serial number? Don't you have a statute protecting you for good faith statements given in a reference check with the proper authorization? Get out the asbestos and start sewing. (Be certain to take the proper precautions for working around asbestos. :) You could certainly sit in on the interview if you wish, to be certain of the questions which are answered, but, please, we need your cooperation. And, you might find that we're not all that bad.
  • One thing leads to another, and the seemly innocent interview evolves into an interrogation! Better safe than sorry. Don't allow the interview. ALL information must come from HR. Our policy is "all" information about employees or former employees is obtained from HR. Hope you find this helpful...
  • How odd. I just had a gentleman in my office from the federal government checking on a present employee. With 900 plus employees, I can't give them the type of information they are looking for. I have no problem having them speak with supervisors. I just tell them to keep it objective, don't get into a story telling contest, and everything will be alright. Eight years, haven't had a problem yet. Guess considering some of the above, I should knock on wood.
  • Personally, I have the information go through me so that I can check that what I am saying is documented. I am fairly open with my references so long as what I am saying is documented and work related. My personal belief is good employees deserve carefully worded good references and bad employees deserve even more carefully worded negative references.

I can understand that the police need to hire good people. Don't we all want that. Do the best you can to give them the info they need but don't do anything you are not comfortable with.

Paul
  • Nothing personal Hunter1. Some of my best friends are cops. They're also the very ones who'll tell me, "Just between us boys. Totally off the record". As to where you might get the information you seek, there is no way you should expect all this totally subjective evaluative conjecture from a competent Human Resources Department. Nothing included in my 'creative questions' dealt with anything that could possibly be defended by an employer's attorney. This is the reason the supervisors want to talk to past supervisors. They know they can pump them a bit harder for the 'wrong' information. Don't let it come from your Human Resources Department. Hmmmmmm, I wonder how the HR Department heads at large police departments are trained to respond to like requests from the rest of us out here. My bet is they know better than to discuss any of those types of issues and they would never authorize me to talk to some precinct commander or shift supervisor down at the jail. My all time favorites are the FBI guys in black suits who can flash ID quicker than you can flex your sphincter. They likewise don't get the information.
  • I informed the officer that an interview would not be possible, but that if he sent over the release I could answer basic questions. We went from salary and dates of employment, to ratings in categories such as "attendance" and "reliability." The former employee was excellent so that is not a concern. Next question was, "Do you know if she ever had a garnishment on her wages?" I told him I could not answer that and the call ended there because the officer knew that I wouldn't be able to answer any more of his questions, either. Nasty question and I could tell they would get worse. Don D, you were right.