Transporting Sick/Injured Employees

Recently, we had an employee that was injured on the job so her manager transported her to the occupational health clinic for treatment. After the employee was treated and released, she was unable to drive home ( her foot was injured) so our manager took her home (about 20 miles) because the employee could not locate anyone to assist her. After the manager took the employee home, the manager picked-up the employee's friend and took her back to the office to get the car.

I recognize that the employer has a legal responsibility for providing transportation for an employee (i.e. ambulance), if necessary, in work related illnesses or accidents but what responsibility do we have in transporting that individual elsewhere after treatment was received? I have a concern that if the person doing the transporting has not been cleared to drive for the company, our company could be at risk in the event of an accident.

Also, if anyone has a policy on transporting sick/injured employees, regardless of whether the accident/illness is work related, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to review it for relevance to our company. Thank you!

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have a strict policy against employees transporting injured employees regardless of whether the injury occurs on or off the job. We will obtain commercial transportation for the injured party, send them via ambulance or they may drive themselves, if they're capable.
  • Maybe it's just that I haven't been burned yet, but I would encourage supervisors to transport an injured employee if the injury didn't require medical transport. It certainly seems to me that this is the beginning of our concern for our injured employee, which we will continue with calls or home visits depending on the circumstances, while working with the employee to assure an early return to work. I don't want to seem so concerned with liability that I can't help out the employee.
  • At some times in each of our lives, totally without thinking, we throw caution to the wind and do what makes sense. A few years ago, we had a bunch of teenagers working for our company clearing brush and painting stripes on concrete for the summer (everything short of bustin' rocks). One of them came up behind another with a steel-blade weed-whacker and managed to press the moving blade into the guy's heel, just above the tennis shoe. While several others were shouting and waving arms and peeing in their collective trousers, I scooped up the bleeding guy, got him prone into the back of my Explorer and was at the emergency clinic in about 6 minutes. His foot and leg were saved. His daddy, who was a mechanic at our company, came to my office and told me, "I really appreciate what you did for my boy." I said, "Hell, when that happened, he wasn't your boy. He was mine." I'm sure it wasn't the best decision legally. I'm sure I'd do it again the same way.
  • Don D, you have a heart of gold. I read your post about lay offs a week or so ago and I just think you should really be praised for the concern that you show your employees. I wanted to comment be cause we had the exact same situation three weeks ago. The employee went to the hospital via Medical Transport (looks more like the little bus that you wait for when you parked your car a mile out in the parking lot at the hospital). Anyway, we called a cab to bring the employee back and then paid the cab fare to get the employee home. I am not certain but if there were an accident on the way home the cab company should be liable. We can feel good that we get them home with little worry on our end.
  • We allow supervisors/managers to transport employees as long as the injury is not severe enough to warrant an ambulance. They are all trained first aid responders and the local hospital is about 2 miles from the plant. We also require a supervisor or manager to transport an employee to the hospital for a drug/alcohol screen as part of our substance abuse policy. After the test the employee is driven home to await the results of the screening. All supervisors and managers have driving record checks done to ensure they are okay to drive. We have never run into a problem with this practice.
  • This is an area filled with landmines that we must dance around. Don, is right, you need to at times do what you need to do. I myself have done a variety of these things in past lives. I have sent people via, cab, ambulance, co-worker, and transported myself.
    I have received criticism for the way I have handled this numerous times, never by the injured party but by other who think they know better. When criticized I ask them it they are trained in first aid / CPR? I already know they will say no as I am the one who arranges the training. I then point out, like I tell all first aid responders that it is their call, ambulance or cab or whatever for getting an injured employee to medical attention. When it is me I do what I feel needs to be done. Most of the criticism has been you should have called an ambulance. When I point out that I treated the injured employee, and rode over in the cab with them to the hospital/clinic and there were no issues most drop it. Some still do the what if, to which I respond as the first provider I made the decision, if you don't like it you can always volunteer to be part of the first responders so you can have input. They never take it up.
    I now require the supervisors to take injured employees to the clinic. Three reasons, one it shows concern for the employee, two it also helps keep the supervisors focusec on safety because they really don't have time for this, and three it also ensures that the employee cannot stop to buy anything that can impact the outcome of the post accident drug test.
    I do not worry about getting the employee's car back to their home if we end up sending them home from clinic/hospital, I draw the line there.
    It does not matter how they are transported, as almost anything that happens will most likely still fall under the WC umbrella.
    Wow I have rambled on a bit, get that makes this my:
    $0.04 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I say Baloonman and Don D are crazy. Live to manage another day is my motto. Never, never never transport sick or injured employees. Something that looks minor may be problematic given someone's medical history. What if they go into a seizure in your car or get worse on the way.......you aren't doing anyone any favors there by putting them in your car. Call an ambulance and let the professionals care for the poor employee properly.
  • Geez Shawn: Say what you mean. Don't be so vague..... x:-) Proudly crazy, Don d.
  • Don what do you think, Shawn is what under 25 I am guessing? LOL, and I have been called crazy also, but my doctor says I am not................as long as I take my medication I am as sane as the next one.
    While I will not get anothers blood on me, there are very few limits to what I will do in taking care of my employees. I had one who cut his forearm while working alone on the 7th floor of an 8 story building, 6" cut! (He was a little different) But all he was thinking about was I have to get to DJ, I have to get to DJ. I did drop the phone when he walked in! Got the bleeding under control and gave him the choice car or cab. He chose cab, but I did not leave until after he came back from the clinic.
    Shawn, you will figure it out..............you can't worry about making mistakes, and how many people without epilepsy do you know that have seizures anyway? I have only known 1 in 37 plus years!!!! And if the have a seizure so be it if you can have them to the hospital/clinic in under 5 minutes or must wait 5-10 for an ambulance......
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman..................Don's partner in insanity.

• I would like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I too am compassionate and would transport an injured/ill employee to seek medical treatment as long as the injury/illness was not life threatening. What concerns me is that our safety committee recommended that we develop a policy on this subject. It is my opinion that if we have a policy, either for or against transporting ill/injured employees, we will experience limits that may obstruct our ability to make a judgment call.
  • We do have such a policy and, frankly, it's because my colleagues in my office here at Corporate are liability-paranoid to the point of paralysis. In the long run, I think a well-reasoned policy is the best way to go, but you should also check your state laws for good samaritan statutes. When you're the one on-scene and need to make a judgment call, it should be a comfort to know that there are Good Samaritan laws in many states that should theoretically shield you from liability for taking action.
  • While I think there are a lot of variables that come into play in this situation, I have always had the policy of calling 911 to transport a seriously injured employee. there have been other times that another employee has been given the ok to drive them to the ER or medical facility. The absolute best policy to keep yourself and your company from being sued (there will always be the exception) is to get professional help asap and let them handle it. (And no I'm not under 25, I just wish I were and know what i know now!)
  • We use common sense and have utilized both methods. When an employee fell down the steps and twisted her ankle, I took her to the ER to look at her foot. It was not life-threatening, so we took her to save time waiting for an ambulance and money for her and us. On the other hand, we've had a member or employee pass out and out of concern for their unknown health problem, we called an ambulance. I think we are all intelligent enough to know when an ambulance or cab is warranted, especially those of us with medical training, and I do think the employees appreciate it when we take the time to go that extra mile for them, rather then pile 'em in the ambulance and wave goodbye before getting back to work.
    And Balloonman..better be careful..that "under 25" stereotype could get you in trouble! ;;)

• You hit the nail right on the head, common sense and training. Things can still go wrong, but that is part of life. As long as the decision was sound based on the information in front of you. x:D you are right, I don't want to appear that I might be stereotyping or age discriminating on the HR Forum!!!! LOL
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman