Religion in the workplace

I have a question. I am the HR Dir. at a private, non-profit Nursing Home. We are a Lutheran Nursing Home in the fact that we have 24 Lutheran Member Churches in the area that provide volunteer and financial backing. Our Mission Statement states that we "Promote quality of life in a Christian environment for seniors and their families by providing individualized services in a variety of settings". We have 2 Lutheran pastors on staff, and hire other denominational clergy to provide a variety of church services to our residents. My question is this.... at many staff meetings, the meeting is begun with a prayer from our Lutheran pastor. I'm concerned that with the diversity of staff that we have that someone will be offended by this. However, the Job Application that they completed states our Mission Statement on the very top and it also is at the top of our Employee Newsletter and Job Descriptions. So....they were aware upon hire that this was a Lutheran based facility and they could choose to work or not work here based on that knowledge. What are your thoughts on this??

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I once worked for a Catholic hospital, but we were a very diverse workforce. In our orientation, there was even a service called the "blessing of the hands" which was held in a chapel built on site at the hospital. We did have some indivduals who chose not to participate in this service or any other religious observances the hospital had in connection with Catholicism. We didn't require anyone to participate in the religious side of the organization.

• You might want to check out the religion discrimination regulations in your state. While there are exemptions for religious organizations, the issue here might be that the primary work that you do is not religious, it is nursing care, thus the religion exemption may not apply. That doesn't mean that you have to give up the religion side of the business, but may make you liable for charges of discrimination by individuals of other religions. Since you have a diverse work force it is probably best to have the religion part low key, like Rockie states about previous employment.
  • It is indeed important to check out MN state law. However, religion is a constitutionally protected activity. There are cases that hold that religious institutions can require religious activities of their employees. I have shorthanded this answer, but it is permissible for a Lutheran School to require the teachers to start classes with a prayer.

There are also cases under Title VII that hold that a religious institution can require its employees to adhere to the religions tenents as a condition of employment.

Please be advised that the EEOC does not know how to handle religion issues. It is all over the map. The major legal principle still is the Constitution.

Again, I would suggest that you consult with your employment/labor attorney.

• However, the Job Application that they completed states our
    >Mission Statement on the very top and it also is at the top of our
    >Employee Newsletter and Job Descriptions. So....they were aware upon
    >hire

I'm not sure this really comes into play; but, having a lead statement, disclaimer or closing remark printed on an application can actually carry no weight or importance at all if it is not a legally permissable statement or claim. I can't figure out whether yours is truly a religious institution or not. It's main objectives are not the teaching of religion or Lutheran instruction. You are undoubtedly a primary health care organization specializing in residential services for the elderly I would suppose. Does being supported by a grouping of churches make one a religious organization? I don't have a clue. If Habitat in our community is supported by a group of churches, does that make Habitat a religious organization? No. And I can't imagine that you would ever have any success if you recommended to your leadership that they 'downplay religion'. I remember listening to the ceremony held in Texas after the shuttle disaster recently. I didn't understand any of what the Jewish Rabbi said, but it was a beautiful service. I would hope your organization could invite a broader diversity of religious mentors. Good luck.

• We also, are a non-profit organization, Christian based but providing social services, not religious-based services. Our employment attorneys recommended 4 years ago that we cease opening our staff meetings with prayer. Our board meetings are still opened with prayer - the board members are representatives from the 37 member churches. Hope this helps. Tks, Barbara
  • I think you could open with a prayer, but not require anyone to participate. Perhaps you could make it to where anyone wishing to "bless" the proceedings with prayer can come 5 minutes early for a prayer time. Then when everyone else gets there, start the meeting. This way you have prayer time, but without offending someone. Having worked in a Christian environment and being one myself, I doubt you will be able to restrict them from praying at all.
    Hope this helps.